News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

how to change sign up url?

Started by winsoft, October 22, 2019, 04:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsoft

hi all,

i would like to change the sign up url? which file do i need to edit please?

thank you

Illori

in what way do you want the URL changed? some more details on your end and maybe we can tell you what has to be done.

winsoft

I would like to use a different sign up form that i made via google forms. I need more info and uploads etc to register users.

Please let me know how to change it.

Thank you

Arantor

If you do that, you need to them make Google Forms be able to actually register users, unless you plan n doing it all manually.

If you're just looking to add extra fields, use the custom fields feature.

Dzonny

You don't need to change url you want to change form itself. Like Arantor said, the best would be to use custom fields. What exactly you want to change?

winsoft

Quote from: Arantor on October 22, 2019, 06:10:28 AM
If you do that, you need to them make Google Forms be able to actually register users, unless you plan n doing it all manually.

If you're just looking to add extra fields, use the custom fields feature.

I would like to do it manually through google forms.

winsoft

Quote from: Dzonny on October 22, 2019, 07:44:22 AM
You don't need to change url you want to change form itself. Like Arantor said, the best would be to use custom fields. What exactly you want to change?

I would like to change the sign up link to something else. it is currently '?action=signup' and i want to replace it my with my own link if possible.

// Otherwise they're a guest. Ask them to either register or login.
   elseif (empty($maintenance))
      echo '
         <ul class="floatleft welcome">
            <li>', sprintf($txt[$context['can_register'] ? 'welcome_guest_register' : 'welcome_guest'], $txt['guest_title'], $context['forum_name_html_safe'], $scripturl . '?action=login', 'return reqOverlayDiv(this.href, ' . JavaScriptEscape($txt['login']) . ');', $scripturl . '?action=signup'), '</li>
         </ul>';
   else

Arantor

Yes, but why? Changing it to Google Forms doesn't automatically put the users into your database. Why do you need to use Google Forms?

winsoft

Quote from: Arantor on October 22, 2019, 10:00:14 AM
Yes, but why? Changing it to Google Forms doesn't automatically put the users into your database. Why do you need to use Google Forms?

I am just trying out things.

Changing the signup URL is not allowed?

Arantor

It is, but literally what is the point?

So let's say the URL was changed and it pointed to a Google Form. That form won't put the user in your site, so for every user that registers, you need to manually re-enter them yourself to actually add them to your site... is that what you really want?

If it isn't, what are you hoping to achieve by having a Google Form exactly?

Illori

also some people don't like google products and would not fill out the form knowing that google will collect data on them. so you will loose users by doing it this way.

also as users are not auto created, users may not return if they are accepted.

winsoft

Quote from: Arantor on October 22, 2019, 12:33:36 PM
It is, but literally what is the point?

So let's say the URL was changed and it pointed to a Google Form. That form won't put the user in your site, so for every user that registers, you need to manually re-enter them yourself to actually add them to your site... is that what you really want?

If it isn't, what are you hoping to achieve by having a Google Form exactly?

maybe i won't use it after trial :) can't you just let me know how can i change it?

thank you

winsoft

Quote from: Illori on October 22, 2019, 12:36:24 PM
also some people don't like google products and would not fill out the form knowing that google will collect data on them. so you will loose users by doing it this way.

also as users are not auto created, users may not return if they are accepted.

i take risk, this wont be problem.

thank you

Arantor

You want to trial entering all the user data yourself? Really?

Change Subs.php inside where it says setupMenuContext, it has $scripturl . '?action=signup', you just replace the $scripturl part and the ?action=signup part with the url to the form in quotes, e.g, it'll look like => 'https://Google/blahblah', (with comma on the end)

Have fun entering every user registration by hand since there's no way to automatically connect Google Forms into SMF to register users.

winsoft

Quote from: Arantor on October 22, 2019, 01:04:30 PM
You want to trial entering all the user data yourself? Really?

Change Subs.php inside where it says setupMenuContext, it has $scripturl . '?action=signup', you just replace the $scripturl part and the ?action=signup part with the url to the form in quotes, e.g, it'll look like => 'https://Google/blahblah', (with comma on the end)

Have fun entering every user registration by hand since there's no way to automatically connect Google Forms into SMF to register users.

thank you very much

AlanDewey

Could this concept be used to put registration 'pages' into a subdirectory ?      I mean I could somehow move the   /index.php?action=register    pages into a subdirectory? 

Asking, because on another of my sites (not SMF) I put login and registration pages into a subdirectory  e.g.   https://mywebsitename.com/0/register.aspx   Then I applied IP address restrictions to the   /0/   subdirectory.   Anyplace I want visitors to see login and register links, that was placed in an <iframe>.   The blocked IP addresses see a small blank area on the screen.  So people all over the world can view the website, but most countries & continents are blocked by ip address from ever seeing the link to register.   

So I get lots of 'foreign' visitors, but I keep my registration attempts limited to North America.  (Due to the subject, no one outside USA would have a honest reason to register.)
Causing lots of electrons to push each other around since 1985.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Quote from: AlanDewey on October 29, 2019, 10:24:16 AM

Could this concept be used to put registration 'pages' into a subdirectory ?      I mean I could somehow move the   /index.php?action=register    pages into a subdirectory? 

Asking, because on another of my sites (not SMF) I put login and registration pages into a subdirectory  e.g.   https://mywebsitename.com/0/register.aspx   Then I applied IP address restrictions to the   /0/   subdirectory.   Anyplace I want visitors to see login and register links, that was placed in an <iframe>.   The blocked IP addresses see a small blank area on the screen.  So people all over the world can view the website, but most countries & continents are blocked by ip address from ever seeing the link to register.   

So I get lots of 'foreign' visitors, but I keep my registration attempts limited to North America.  (Due to the subject, no one outside USA would have a honest reason to register.)

All this does is change what the link in the menu points to, not change any registration behaviour. The original page is still there and just because it isn't linked in the menu, doesn't mean bots can't go to it...

AlanDewey

Thank you for your answer / clarification.   :)
Causing lots of electrons to push each other around since 1985.

Advertisement: