News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Yahoo group converter

Started by chipster1059, October 23, 2019, 04:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipster1059

Hi,

I've been a SMF user for over a year now, best forum software I ever used.

I'm also part of several Yahoo groups, but this platform is shutting down in December.  I was wondering about the possibility of converting these groups into a SMF forum.  I've searched this support forum, and while the question has been asked a few times, no functional converter was ever made available.

I have succesfully scraped all messages from the groups using a python script (by Andrew Ferguson on GitHub, I'm not allowed to post links).  The messages are stored in JSON files, one file per message.  All that remains would be to convert these into a SMF-compatible database.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

vbgamer45

I would suggest using SMF's built in functions.
To create posts via PHP code
Check out https://support.simplemachines.org/function_db/index.php?action=view_function;id=323

Also I have a mod called RSS Feed Poster that posts new topics that might be helpful
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

chipster1059

Thank you for the help.

Sadly, Yahoo Groups removed RSS support a few years back, so your RSS poster mod won't work :(

I will look into this PHP function though, but I have one question: is there any way to set a custom timestamp for posts created this way?

Thank you.

vbgamer45

I don't believe so. But you could run a SQL query to change the date of the topic and message in those tables.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

chipster1059

All right; thank you.

I'll run the import soon.  I'll mark this as [SOLVED], and reopen later on if necessary.

martiniturbide

Hi chipster1059

Did you find a solution to repost the Yahoo Groups messages on SMForum?

I was able to backup the Yahoo Groups with the yahoo backup online tool, now I have some text files. Now I want to import those into SMForum threads.

Regards

vbgamer45

Can you post an example of one?

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

elexx

Quote from: vbgamer45 on November 03, 2020, 05:06:00 PMCan you post an example of one?
I'm interested in a solution for old yahoo-groups-archives too. It is a pity that much of the information that was posted there has disappeared.

The yahoo-backup-Tool produces simple MBOX-Files, like they are used e.g. in Thunderbird to store the Mails. I was able to copy the downloaded yahoo-Backup-File with 5700 messages in the "mail"-Folder of my Thunderbird an had instantly access to the messages as normal mails.

Dreadaxe

Advertisement: