Issue finding correct files for content generation

Started by dalslandan, October 24, 2019, 10:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalslandan

Hello.

I have thought about writing about it here earlier, but I thought I would eventually solve it.
Currently I'm doing modifications on the SMF 2.0.15 with the core theme, mostly visual stuff.

I know I have seen other pages which I have also had trouble finding out how they were generated, but hopefully if I provide with this one it will be enough for me to gain the necessary insight needed.

Currently I want to edit the "profile info" page manually, but finding where most of this body was generated prove to be quite difficult. I have used advanced searches for classes (mostly), ids (less frequent), and general keywords like ("Username:") which is present in the profile info page.

I am very aware that pages can be dynamically generated, with very abstract layers which I do believe the case to be here.
Just as a side note, I have found very much being in the Display-, BoardIndex-, and index.template.php

Thanks for your time.

//Dalslandan

Kindred

well, the overall page is generated in index.template.php which then calls separate templates for the content inside the wrapper...   profile.template.php is a good place to start... but even that is broken down into sub templates and sub template files...

and the data that fills the content is called from Sources files -- the template file(s) only handle the display of the data... so, if you are adding content, then you need to add it into the arrays in the Sources file(s) in order to be called into the template for display.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dalslandan

Hey, thanks for fast reply. And I totally missed there was a coding section...  ;D

I thought all the theme files were constrained to the "core" folder since that is the theme I currently use.
But when you mentioned that "profile.template.php", and after fiddling around I noticed that the default folder is indeed connected to my current theme.

I always assumed that the default folder was belonging to the newer "curve" theme.

If it isn't too much to ask, is there something else important I might be missing in the future when thinking about themes secondary folders (e.g. core) and the "default" folder in terms of association?

Arantor

Default is the Curve theme, any theme that is missing a given template file will use the default one, which is why most themes don't have a Profile template.

Advertisement: