News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Manually editing theme files for mods

Started by addlife, October 27, 2019, 01:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addlife

I'm a member of a forum that uses the default theme. I want to give the administrator of the forum a ready to use theme that's compatible with his mods currently installed. I want to manually edit a theme for certain mods and then just rezip it and email it to the administrator so he can just upload it since he doesn't want to deal with editing the files.

I tried doing it for the "like posts" mod but after I do the edits and upload the theme to a test site the forum turns only to text and text links.

Test site is 011972.xyz

Any ideas where I can be going wrong?

Shambles

The Sunrise202 theme hasn't been installed correctly, by the look of things... the default theme looks ok though.

http://www.011972.xyz/index.php?theme=1

addlife

Quote from: Shambles on October 27, 2019, 02:03:30 PM
The Sunrise202 theme hasn't been installed correctly, by the look of things... the default theme looks ok though.

http://www.011972.xyz/index.php?theme=1
Do you know what could've gone wrong? As far as I remember I downloaded the sunrise theme, unzipped it using built in Windows 10 extractor, edited the files that needed to be edited with Microsoft expression web 4 . Rezipped it with WinRAR and uploaded it through the admin interface.

Would the fact that I renamed the folder name affect anything?

Shambles

Quote from: addlife... uploaded it through the admin interface.

Did you also install it through the admin interface?

If so, go this route:

Admin > Configuration > Themes & Layout > Theme Settings and click "Attempt to reset all themes"

Illori

did you zip up the files in the folder, or did you zip up the folder? you need to zip up the files so the theme installer can install the theme.

also it may be better to edit the files with something like notepad++ to make sure line endings are not changed, which could possibly cause a parse error.

addlife

Quote from: Illori on October 27, 2019, 04:54:41 PM
did you zip up the files in the folder, or did you zip up the folder? you need to zip up the files so the theme installer can install the theme.

also it may be better to edit the files with something like notepad++ to make sure line endings are not changed, which could possibly cause a parse error.
I zipped up the folder. I guess that might be the problem.

Should I zip up all files then zip up the folder? Or only some files

Illori

lurkalot

Quote from: addlife on October 29, 2019, 02:29:30 PM
Quote from: Illori on October 27, 2019, 04:54:41 PM

I zipped up the folder. I guess that might be the problem.

Should I zip up all files then zip up the folder? Or only some files

As illori mention, just zip up the files.

What I do: 

1: Open the folder containing all those files.
2: Right click somewhere in the folder and from the menu select New > WinRAR Zip archive. And give it a name.
3: Highlight all those files and drag and drop them over the new zip you created.
4: Done.

Advertisement: