News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Server crashed installed RC2 version on Windows computer, login error

Started by AKA_Ramstein2, October 29, 2019, 12:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKA_Ramstein2

Server crashed, installed RC2 version on Windows computer (had to resort to fresh install), login error

simple machine forum Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.
logging out and logging back in does not fix it.

Some computers give this loin error, some browsers, others now. Seems to hate MS win10 edge browser.

Thanx

btw,

spent several days searching for answers, seems this issues goes back ten years over several SMF forum versions.
note: we used SMF for like at least 10 years, maybe 15 years. Our computer crashed and lost the forums, and decided after a bunch of issues on upgrade fix, installs, etc, just to install the latest and greated SMF version RC2?

Please, a fix?

vbgamer45

Is it on a windows server? Are you running IIS or Apache?
Check that your php sessions path is set in your php.ini
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

AKA_Ramstein2

Illori

RC2 of what branch? also if you are using SMF 2.0 RC2, you really need to upgrade for security.

AKA_Ramstein2

do we need to do this?

hxxp:quehow.com/how-to-install-iis-on-windows-10/4155.html [nonactive]

it is my friends who is running it on his computers as a server. I am trying to runt he forums. I did it this for many years, but this time it has no been easy.

When I mean RC2, it is...  smf_2-1-rc2

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

AKA_Ramstein2

I have to do a remote login and look,, all I know is it is windows 10.
where do I look?

We never had this issue with all of the previous SMF forums over that past decade...
it was using 2.0.15 SMF on Win 7, until win7 crashed.  never had this problem on that version on windows. Then put Win10 on an SSD drive. have SMF forums on Drive D: sata hard drive. And install the SMF 2-1-rc2. now login failures.

anyways, I will remote login and look to see the info. Where do I look for it in win10 ?

Illori

if you don't know how to secure the server, I would really not recommend using the server for SMF. you are just asking a hacker to gain access.

also it is even more unsecure to use a desktop OS for a server.

AKA_Ramstein2

the more i think, the more i think there is a misunderstanding,,, it is not a server... it is only the forum with an IP-redirect we uses....

our group decided to quit paying a lot for servers online and have been hosting a forum on a home computer.

So, since we do not use an online server, like on godaddy, we use the no-ip redirect

see photos

we never had this problem until now on a windows home computer running forum software. now some computers (some browsers)reject the logins, others do not.

AKA_Ramstein2

I can login with other browsers...

like I said been running smf for ages.... it is a closed sever, online, but only for closed group. We had it on hosting sites but tired of paying lots of money. Ran other forum packages in the past for decades too. I just want to fix this issue. Thanx

Arantor

The fact you have made your machine fundamentally insecure to make this work is not a good sign. (Just because you haven't had issues doesn't mean you don't actually have a problem. Yet.)

m4z

Quote from: AKA_Ramstein2 on October 29, 2019, 12:06:02 PM
spent several days searching for answers, seems this issues goes back ten years over several SMF forum versions.

The reason this "issue" goes back so far is that it's a whole class of login errors that results in this. It could be cookie- or DNS-related. What are the differences between the browsers that can login and those that can't? Are private browsing windows on these hosts behaving the same as the customized browsers? Are some "internal" to your network and some external? Are you hosting multiples domains or SMF forums on this webserver?

PS: If you have no hosting experience, maybe try free hosting? (A guy providing one such service even tried to support you in this very thread.) ;)
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Advertisement: