News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Spellcheck doesn't work

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, November 06, 2019, 09:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

One of my forums was using spellcheck, it stopped working at some point.  Displays empty window.  They're running 2.0.15 in php 7.1.33.  Tried it on test install, 2.0.15 in 7.0.33, same thing.  Help popup on both says pspell is set up correctly.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

LiroyvH

Are the dictionaries installed properly as well?
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Sir Osis of Liver

The help popup is telling me they are, I'll have to confirm with host.  Never tried it on any of my installs, but client had been using it and it stopped working.  Don't have cpanel access to client account, I'll check with my host.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

From Crocweb support -

We have double checked and all necessary packages are installed on the server and pspell PHP module is enabled for the mentioned site.

After looking further into this issue it seems you need dictionary files which is unfortunately not something we can setup on the shared server:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=554232.0

Regards,
CrocWeb Support Department

From the referenced support link, doesn't appear to be any way to fix this.  How/where are the dictionaries installed?  Don't understand why it was working on client forum, then broke.

- R. Waters

LiroyvH

The host has to install them. Not sure why they say that's not something they can do... I can't think of a reason why and it's rather essential for pspell to function, hehe. The dictionaries are very small (clickety) and they're super easy to install (less than a minute including downloading and unpacking.).

Sir Osis of Liver

Unfortunately, the dictionary files is not something we can setup on the shared server. You will need a VPS/dedicated server for it.

Regards,
CrocWeb Support Department

<sigh>

- R. Waters

LiroyvH

Did you ask them for an explanation? It's very simple, doesn't eat resources at all and it's not a security risk either so I'm a bit surprised they'd say they can't do that. Which begs the question why they don't want to. Find it a bit odd of a response. It's like installing mySQL and then telling the client they can't add any database because they need a VPS/Dedicated server to do so. What's the point in installing it then, heh.

Sir Osis of Liver

That's what I thought, but they've told me this twice, and they're usually very reliable.  It may be something in their server setup.  Don't know enough about it to push it.  Passed the info on to the client, recommended they contact their host.  It was working for them a while back, then broke.  They see same thing I see, blank window, no errors.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: