Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then

Started by brucegust, November 13, 2019, 09:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucegust

I've done some digging on this forum and I know this question has been posed in various forms and iterations, but I wanted to get someone to look at my specific scenario.

My client is the administrator of the site. She successfully logs into the forum, but then is routed to another login page when she clicks on "Admin." At that point, she enters her credentials and is given the message, "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again."

Her code is antiquated and I've had to update different areas of her site and I'm inclined to think that this might be a similar problem.

However...

I wanted some minds greater than my own who may have encountered and solved this problem to help me out.

What do you think?

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

brucegust

Hello, Sir!

Forgive me, I'm brand new to "Simple Machines." While I'm confident it is antiquated, I don't know where to look in order to find out the version. Where do I go to get that info for you?

Sir Osis of Liver

It's not antiquated, it's just 8 updates behind.  If you or admin has access to the database, look in smf_settings table and change securityDisable to '0'.

- R. Waters

brucegust

Hey, friend!

Thanks for getting back with me. I downloaded the entire sql file and did a search for "securityDisable" and nothing came back.

I do have access to the database. Could it be a different setting?

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

brucegust

What I'm saying is that there is no "securityDisable" column heading in any of the tables. I downloaded the entire sql file in order to do a search just to make certain I wasn't missing something.

I'm wondering if you didn't mean a different column heading?

BTW: Thanks for your time! If this is a problem that can be solved simply by changing a value in the database, well...life can't be any better!

Kindred

it's not a column heading.

it's a variable and a value combination in the smf_settings table
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

It doesn't fix the problem (if it works), it just avoids it.  Something is broken, but if you can restore admin access, should be able to upgrade to 2.0.15, then see what happens.

- R. Waters

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Ok, if you have access to the database that should mean you also have access to the cpanel menu and ftp ... I have run into this several times and you might be having an issue with permission settings of the directory where all the temporary session data files are stored, which is usually one level above your root public_html directory...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

brucegust

Can anyone on this thread point me in the direction of the actual syntax that a user engages when they attempt to login? The URL isn't helpful and while I've been able to pop the hood on some of the administrative code, I've yet to see the actual SELECT that is grabbing login criteria from the database and computing it in a way that would generate the error.

Any ideas?

And as far as admin access, that's what this whole thread is attempting to accomplish. I do agree, though. Updating this thing would probably be very healthy.

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you edit the securityDisable setting?  It should get you into admin.

- R. Waters

I would take a close look at the information displayed in repair_settings.php screen before you save... look at the recommended setting for your cookie name, and also make sure all the other recommended settings match the raw data as well... sometimes I just go through the whole list and click all the blue links without even reading, you'd be surprised how many times you catch misspellings and minor changes get caught...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 15, 2019, 11:32:57 PM
Nothing to do with this problem, admin security login is failing.

Ok yea I see now, yea I think he's just not digging deep enough... Brucegust are you selecting the Settings table and then doing the search?
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

a10

QuoteI downloaded the entire sql file and did a search for "securityDisable" and nothing came back.
off topic, -assuming the sql was factually \ completely downloaded- how is it possible to not succeed with such a simple search job. Time to get a search tool that actually is a search tool? :O), may be very useful in the future.
Am using Notepad++ for search\edit, Agent Ransack for dedicated\difficult search.

Example, Agent Ransack, 2 seconds search time, & showing the line nr in the sql, see attach. Good luck.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

m4z

I've seen people attempting to search the binary db files instead of plaintext dumps. (Which might work for some cases and search "strategies", but not for others.)
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Arantor

Quote from: a10 on November 16, 2019, 05:15:56 AM
QuoteI downloaded the entire sql file and did a search for "securityDisable" and nothing came back.
off topic, -assuming the sql was factually \ completely downloaded- how is it possible to not succeed with such a simple search job. Time to get a search tool that actually is a search tool? :O), may be very useful in the future.
Am using Notepad++ for search\edit, Agent Ransack for dedicated\difficult search.

Example, Agent Ransack, 2 seconds search time, & showing the line nr in the sql, see attach. Good luck.

For an option that wasn't set before, it wouldn't show up in the SQL because it wasn't set and therefore had no value to have been saved.

Advertisement: