News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Late to the party - upgrading from 1.1.21 to 2.X

Started by radnor302, November 15, 2019, 08:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radnor302

Good day to all!

I have a bit of a problem...

Site is hosted on Godaddy.  SMF was at 1.1.19

About 6 months ago plan was upgraded so the php files were moved to a new server running 5.6. Databases were not migrated, they stayed on old server.  Forum running for a while fine.
Then a few weeks ago ran into the code was depreciated error.

Downloaded and tried to run the upgrade to 2.0.15. It was not pretty.

So, I d/l a backup of 1.1.19 and DBs to a music server I have here.  Have it running fine.  Patched it to 1.1.21.  Uploaded it to godaddy server.  Get the depreciated error (expected it).  Went to do the upgrade to 2.0.15 - WHITE SCREEN OF DEATH.  Backed it off to .19.  Tried upgrade again.  During it's minimal check, not all need files there, so upgrade does not even start.

So, I'm at the point of I'm ready to do a fresh install.

I'd like to keep the topics and sub topics defined, registered users, and posts.

I'm sure it is possible, it's just how much TIME do I want to put into it.

Thoughts / comments please.

Looked at it this morning and there is a connection issue to the DB I need to fix.

TIA,
Radnor302

oridyne

In the test upgrades I have been doing for my site (V 1.1.21) it has been necessary to upgrade to 2.0.13 first then upgrade again to 2.0.15.This seems to avoid a lot of errors, I'm guessing the earlier 2.0.x upgrades were more geared towards the previous branch as well as supporting older php versions etc.

<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Big Bang Burger Bar

radnor302

I'm willing to try 2.0.13.  Is it still available to d/l?  All I see is .15.

Speaking of .15, I made a subdomain on my site and installed .15 w/o problems (made a new DB).  Then used myphpadmin to look at the structure side by side.  See some cols renamed and few new ones.

Would love to have the UPGRADE perform the DB conversions for me taking the db from 1.1.121 to 2.0.X.

Radnor

Sir Osis of Liver

GoDaddy. :P

You should be able to upgrade 1.1.19/.21 -> 2.0.15 directly, don't think going to .13 will make any difference.  Did you check to see if all files are actually there?  Some GD servers were blocking up to a dozen /Sources files, although haven't seen that recently.  Upgrader may also report missing language files if it's not happy with php config.  Some GD servers will just not run the upgrade, I've done several where we had to export db, import to my server, run upgrade, import upgraded db back to GD server.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

radnor302

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 15, 2019, 11:58:27 AM
GoDaddy. :P

You should be able to upgrade 1.1.19/.21 -> 2.0.15 directly, don't think going to .13 will make any difference.  Did you check to see if all files are actually there?  Some GD servers were blocking up to a dozen /Sources files, although haven't seen that recently.  Upgrader may also report missing language files if it's not happy with php config.  Some GD servers will just not run the upgrade, I've done several where we had to export db, import to my server, run upgrade, import upgraded db back to GD server.

I've been messing around with this for a few weeks trying all kind of different things....  Earlier this week I went to do an update and the update does a quick check.  When it did it came back saying some files were missing.

I have a new install running in a subdomain.  Is there any way to run the DB converter to upgrade the DB from 1.1.21 to 2.0.15?  I think thats the point I'm at now.

As far as upgrading...  I've done both d/l .15 and unzip on local machine and ftp files to server and d/l .15 local, upload, and unzip @ server.  No joy for either.

vbgamer45

Godaddy might be deleting some files via ftp on upload mainly files in Sources folder. You might have to upload though the online interface for file manager.
There are the files i commonly see removed from sources folder

Post.php
PersonalMessage.php
Subs-Auth.php
ModerationCenter.ph
Subs-Post.php
LogInOut.php
Subs-Editor.php
Register.php
Reminder.php

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

I ran into same problem because PHP 5.6 is no longer supported, had to go to 7.1 and still had some glitches, but the guy I have as the hosting support knows his stuff and smooth as silk now... I make two recommendations, get the hell away from godaddy, and check in your phpMyAdmin utilities and be sure the coallation sequence is the same for all tables, I recommend using utf8-general-ci
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Sir Osis of Liver

Upgrader usually works better in php 5.6 when upgrading from 1.1 to 2.0, doesn't like 7.x.

- R. Waters

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 15, 2019, 08:50:51 PM
Upgrader usually works better in php 5.6 when upgrading from 1.1 to 2.0, doesn't like 7.x.

Yes, very good point... went back and reread OP and what's throwing me for a loop is that he says the old database did not migrate... dude, do you still have access to the old database?
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: radnor302 on November 15, 2019, 08:34:04 AM
About 6 months ago plan was upgraded so the php files were moved to a new server running 5.6. Databases were not migrated, they stayed on old server.

Most of the older GD accounts did not store databases on localhost, they were on third party servers (starbrite?).  That appears to be the case here, they only migrated forum files, not the database, and the forum is running, just won't upgrade.  Sometimes upgrade will work if run in different php version (usually lower, i.e., 5.4) depending on what's available, but sometimes it won't run at all and upgrade has to be done elsewhere.  Don't know the cause, but suspect it's something in php config.

- R. Waters

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 15, 2019, 11:50:50 PM
Most of the older GD accounts did not store databases on localhost, they were on third party servers (starbrite?).  That appears to be the case here, they only migrated forum files, not the database, and the forum is running, just won't upgrade.  Sometimes upgrade will work if run in different php version (usually lower, i.e., 5.4) depending on what's available, but sometimes it won't run at all and upgrade has to be done elsewhere.  Don't know the cause, but suspect it's something in php config.

Yes, I'm glad I got outta dodge with them and hostgator as well many moons ago, nothing but headaches and poor support...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

radnor302

OK, where I'm at now...

On HOME computer, installed apache, mysql, php5.6.  It's running.
loaded DB and copied my 1.1.21 s/w.  Get the depreciated error message like on GD host.
D/L the 2.0.15 large upgrade & unzipped it in home dir.

Ran http://127.0.0.1/upgrade.php [nofollow] and get ...

The upgrader was unable to find some crucial files.

Please make sure you uploaded all of the files included in the package, including the Themes, Sources, and other directories.

AT this point, I'm stuck!  Tried the upgrader on GD host too, same message.

Arantor

When you run it on your machine, with the existing database, it's going to get confused because it thinks it should be looking in the same paths as the original site (thus it can't find files) - you will need to use repair-settings to fix the settings on your machine so you can run the upgrader.

What is repair_settings.php?

radnor302

I ran it before upgrade attempt.

Also, I see where I messed up big time!!!  I unzipped the pkg and COPIED to my home dir instead of running from folder it created.

So, I unzipped my copy of .21.  Have depreciated message. Then ran upgrade from it's folder.  Looking at white screen.  PHP is 5.6

radnor302

Reread upgrade info....  Copied files to home folder.  Ran repair_settings.  This time it had a lot more items listed that I have ever seen before.
Took all of the recommended values.  Saved file.  Reran upgrade.  Made some progress....

Executing: "Updating holidays and calendar..." (5 of 19 - of this script)

Updating indexes on "messages"...done
Updating table indexes...done
Reordering boards and categories...done
Updating indexes and data on "smileys"...done
Updating indexes on "log_boards"...done
Updating indexes on "log_mark_read"...done
Updating indexes on "themes"...done
Updating data in "settings"...done
Adding new settings...done
Adding PM spam protection settings...done
Cleaning old values from "settings"...done
Encoding SMTP password...done
Adjusting timezone settings...done
Installing theme settings...done
Renaming personal message tables...done
Updating indexes on "pm_recipients"...done
Updating columns on "pm_recipients"...done
Updating columns on "members"...done
Updating columns on "members" - part 2...done
Updating member approval...done
Adding new holidays...done
Updating event start and end dates...done
!!
Error!
Incorrect date value: '0000-00-00' for column 'eventDate' at row 1

clicked continue, but seems to be going nowhere.  Going to let it sit for a bit - range time.

oridyne

With all due respect to the team here I hit upgrade errors every time I tried leaping straight from 1.1.21 to 2.0.15 on my offline test site, going back and using version 2.0.13 enabled a clean upgrade that further enabled a 2nd clean upgrade to 2.0.15.
Now whether  this is a fluke or something that the older upgrade does the newer one does not based on assumptions I cannot say. But for the sake of a bit of extra time and the saving of my sanity this was a worthwhile process. I have yet to take the plunge live but there I wanted to ensure I went through the whole process, including finding updates/replacements for all of the mods I have been using on the old version.
<*> I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing <*>

Big Bang Burger Bar

Sir Osis of Liver

IIRC, did an upgrade at least once on a *very old* database, got to 1.1.21, would not go to 2.0.15.  Tried 1.1.21 -> 2.0, that worked, then 2.0 -> 2.0.15.  Sometimes you just have to play with it until it works.

- R. Waters

radnor302

This morning on GD servers.  Restored 1.1.21.  Made sure setting ok.  Get my depreciated error (expected).  D/L 2.0 upgrade.  Ran it.
Received a warning telling me to go to 2.0.15 instead.  Received a CRITICAL ERROR "The upgrade script cannot find script.js or it is out of date.
Make sure your theme paths are correct. You can download a setting checker tool from the Simple Machines Website"

It completed the 1st table.  Then received this error...

"
!!
Error!
Server has not responded for 30 seconds. It may be worth waiting a little longer or otherwise please click here to try this step again"

Advertisement: