Late to the party - upgrading from 1.1.21 to 2.X

Started by radnor302, November 15, 2019, 08:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

that will be a very common error on godaddy. you will need to be very patient for the upgrade to complete.

radnor302

Well an update...  on my server at work had 1.1.21 running.  Upgraded to 2.0 WITHOUT any problems.
Was going to upgrade to .15 but PHP is OLD! Server is just used for music.

So, what I'm going to do is backup the DB and zip home folder. Move them to GD and check settings and try it there.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 15, 2019, 11:50:50 PM
Sometimes upgrade will work if run in different php version (usually lower, i.e., 5.4) depending on what's available, but sometimes it won't run at all and upgrade has to be done elsewhere.

How large is the db?  Have you cleared _log_errors?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

If you have the upgraded db, do a clean 2.0.15 install and import it to the new install.

- R. Waters

radnor302

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 18, 2019, 11:42:56 AM
Sometimes upgrade will work if run in different php version (usually lower, i.e., 5.4) depending on what's available, but sometimes it won't run at all and upgrade has to be done elsewhere.

Well, is there in 2.0 MAJOR compression going on???
The 1.1.21 backup files are (DATABASES) are 13m & 5.1g
For 2.0 backups are 9.3m & 27.6m

Then I log into my LOCAL server at the bottom it says 39k posts in 5k topics.  Looked at some of the posts and they are there works GREAT!!!

Sir Osis of Liver

Db dumps are compressed only if you select to zip them.  If you've upgraded the db successfully on local server, you're basically done.  Just import it to a clean 2.0.15 install on your production server.  upgrade.php doesn't do anything to the files, it just upgrades the db to 2.0.15.  Doesn't matter where you upgrade it, as long as it completes successfully.

- R. Waters

Antechinus

Quote from: radnor302 on November 18, 2019, 12:15:28 PM
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 18, 2019, 11:42:56 AM

Well, is there in 2.0 MAJOR compression going on???
The 1.1.21 backup files are (DATABASES) are 13m & 5.1g
For 2.0 backups are 9.3m & 27.6m

Then I log into my LOCAL server at the bottom it says 39k posts in 5k topics.  Looked at some of the posts and they are there works GREAT!!!

5.1 gig for 39k posts? That sounds weird, unless you have a humungous error log. You do know it's a good idea to clear the error log before upgrading a db? Not that it's essential, but it is good practice. You can also get rid of any search index, and rebuild it after the upgrade.

The other sizes sounds about right.

radnor302

WOW!!!!  I've moved over 2.0 to a sub domain on GD.  It's working there.  Messages, posts - everything there. 
Now going to zip it for safe keeping.  Then move to public side of the house.

THANK YOU all for the help!

Next up is upgrade to .15. in a while.  Worked too much on this.
Taking a vacation from it for a week or so.

Thank you all again!!!

Antechinus

If your site is only 39k posts you could upgrade to 2.0.15 in about half an hour at most. It's much simpler than changing from 1.1.x to 2.0.x.

radnor302

Thank you, but I think I'm putting it down for a little while.  I've put a lot of time on it tring to get it back working on 3 different servers.
My brain hurts....  PHP5.6 ok for .15?

Only thing I have now is a pink banner themes dir is wrong.  That "should" be easy compared to what I've been through.

Antechinus

That is probably because you have moved the db. Go here: https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?tools
Grab repair_settings.php. Easy to run. Will not frazzle brain. :)

5.6 should be ok.

radnor302

OK to make the jump from 2.0 to .15 in 1 step?

PHP version?  On 5.6 7.x available

Dzonny

You ran a large upgrade on 2.0 or you tried to update it with patches? 2.0.1, 2.0.2 and so on?

The error you're getting now can be caused by server being busy, so it might help to just try again?

radnor302

Just an update....

I copied 2.0 to a subdomain.  Copied the DB w/ new name so I could patch w/o messing up live system

D/L patch 1-5 installed on test forum.  Then installed on live
D/L patch 6-10 repeat as above
D/L patch 11-15 repeat.

So, now I'm CURRENT!

I tried the large upgrade to jump from 2.0 to 2.0.15 initially but when I ran upgrade it complained about missing files.
Patching was slower, but I am FINALLY there!

Thanks to all who helped!

Advertisement: