News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Notification for approval does not go away

Started by dr.tomo, November 19, 2019, 07:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr.tomo

Hello everyone!

QuoteI've had a slight issue where whenever I make a new post on my forum it's showing there is a new unread thread for me to see.

I have the same problem on my forum. (100+ users per day) -> It actually started few days ago, or at least I noticed it then

I also noticed that forum was late (it processes slowly) for the activities I was doing.

As an example: I get a notification that someone wants to register on the forum, I confirm the registration, and for a short time (maybe minute) after confirmation, notification still stand, and then it disappears...

Any solutions?

Illori

this topic has been split, in the future please open a new topic for your issue as your issue is not the same as the issue the other user had.

do you have cache enabled in your admin panel? if so what level is it set to?

dr.tomo

Ok, but then the title of issue is not true. (I think that you read that superficially)

I have this problem:

I've had a slight issue where whenever I make a new post on my forum it's showing there is a new unread thread for me to see.

And I also have this problem:

I also noticed that my forum processes slowly the activities I was doing.
Example:  I get a notification that someone wants to register on the forum, I confirm the registration, and for a short time (maybe minute) after confirmation, notification still stand, and then it disappears (after minute or shorter)...

Quotedo you have cache enabled in your admin panel? if so what level is it set to?

I think I have (see pictures)

Arantor

So the latter problem is that calculating how many new approvals there is isn't necessarily quick, it's done and stored for up to 90 seconds before it's reprocessed - this is what caching is. In that respect it is working as designed.

The other part is a bit weirder, but could be caching related. Try turning cache down to level 0/off and see if that fixes your problems.

dr.tomo

For first problem: I make new post, and that post shows to me like new one
(same situation like someone else make post that i never seen)

I turn cache down to level 0 and it's look like fixed.

How different my forum will be without cache. (are there any problems or risks?)

Arantor

There's no problem, it was working as designed before it was changed.

All it means is things will be recalculated more often so it'll be less time before you need to start paying for better hosting, all the caching does is try to reuse things in the system rather than going to the database to do work.

dr.tomo

Advertisement: