News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

I'm brand new to Simple Machines. How do I upgrade to 2.0.15?

Started by brucegust, November 18, 2019, 07:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucegust

There's probably some detailed instructions somewhere that I'm missing but...

I want to do this right the first time and I don't want to overlook something that overwrites my client's database etc (which I've gone ahead and saved).

With Wordpress, you can back up the entire site. Not sure if that's needed here, but I wanted to go ahead and ask what might be perceived as an obvious question, but I would rather appear foolish that plow ahead only to make a mistake and set my client back for a period.

How do I upgrade it and are there backups / precautions that I need to take before I start clicking away?

Thanks!

Sir Osis of Liver

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

Backup all forum files and your database before you start.  DO NOT use the admin db backup utility, use cpanel backup or phpmyadmin.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Drunken Clam

Illori

if you are already on some version of SMF 2.0.* then you need to follow https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Patching not the link provided above with is for upgrades between major versions.

brucegust

Right now I'm on version SMF 2.0.7. I had a problem with "Session verification failed" and when I mentioned my current version, I had several people weigh in and say my client needed to upgrade and that would probably fix the problem while simultaneously accomplish a very healthy amount of maintenance.

Just a quick aside: It seems like, numerically, 2.0.7 is more current than 2.0.15, just because of the "7."

In any event, that's my current version.

I'm currently backing up all of the files and I've already made a copy of the database using phpMyAdmin.

I gotta say: Having worked with WordPress, I'm blown away by the fact that my client's entire forum equates to around 13MB.

Does the update involve just a couple of adjustments to the code, or is it one of those things where the entire infrastructure is getting overhauled?

I'm looking at the comments that have been posted thus far and I'm wondering..

Is there an "out of the box" utility that facilitates the update or is this just a couple of files I'm uploading to the server that replaces older files by the same name?

I want to do this right the first time so I'm not costing my client any views / business.

Thanks!

Illori

are you also doing a backup of the database, not just the files?

have you read the link provided above?

SomeoneElse

If you are on 2.0.7, you need to check what version of PHP your server is on - some old versions of SMF won't run on newer versions of PHP and 2.0.15 won't run on PHP 5.3 or below.

Arantor

2.0.7 was the first version to support 5.5+ properly, 2.0.14 needs 5.4+ and is the first version to support 7.0 properly.

Sir Osis of Liver

If you've fixed the session verification problem and have admin access working, you can upgrade from 2.0.7 to .15 by installing patches in sequence using Package Manager, as per Illori's link.  You don't have to upload any files, and installed mods, themes, and database should not be affected.  Just make sure you have a complete db backup (stuff happens).

- R. Waters

brucegust

Alright, guys, I think we're cooking with grease!

I've backed up my database along with all my files. I've got access to the admin page, I've found the correct "patching" download for my version and I've found the place where I upload that zip file. In addition, I've confirmed that I'm running PHP 7 so the updates I'm getting ready to accomplish - if my app could talk - it would probably say something like, "Finally!"

But just for the sake of ensuring I'm on the right page...

The file I'm getting ready to upload from the "Administration Center »Package Manager »Download Packages" page is the "smf_2_0_15_upgrade.zip" file. This seems similar to what you do in a Wordpress environment. But before I flip the switch, I wanted to make sure that's what the system is expecting. At point, as I was reading through the documentation, I ran across something that said, "...one file at a time." When I unzipped the upgrade package I saw several files and I wasn't sure what all I was looking at. It seemed I was looking at a brand new application as opposed to a few files that constituted some minor tweaks.

In any event...

Do I just upload that zip file or do I have to unzip it and upload each file / directory one at a time? I'm assuming it's just like Wordpress but it's worth the question if the alternative is doing something that requires a lot of cleanup.

Thanks!

Antechinus

What you have there is a "large upgrade pack". It will completely replace all files with default ones, and wipe out most mods (if you have any installed).

If you are not worried about keeping mods, or about keeping any default files you may have customised, you can use the large upgrade pack to jump from 2.0.7 (or whatever) straight to 2.0.15.

On the other hand if you want to keep mods installed, or if you want to keep custom edits to default files, don't use the large upgrade pack.

If all you want to do is sequential patching, while keeping mods and edited files, these patches are the ones you want: https://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/

Your admin centre home page should link them sequentially. IOW, if you are on 2.0.7 (as an example) the warning about upgrades on the admin centre home page will link you to the 2.0.8 patch. Once you install that you'll get another link, to the 2.0.9 patch. Etc, etc. So you can end up fully up to date, just be following the given series of patches.

QuoteDo I just upload that zip file or do I have to unzip it and upload each file / directory one at a time?

You can do it either way, if your host allows extract in situ. If your host doesn't allow that, you'll have to unzip the upgrade pack and then upload one file at a time (or basically, just queue the lot in FTP and let it sort them out).

Sir Osis of Liver

Look in Admin -> Package Manager, there should be a message advising you there's an upgrade available to patch 2.0.7 to 2.0.8.  Click the link, it'll download the upgrade and give you the option to install, just like a mod.  If it flags any errors, do not proceed with install.  No errors, install the patch, you'll then get a message that there's an upgrade available for 2.0.8 to 2.0.9.  Keep doing that until you get to 2.0.15.

- R. Waters

brucegust

It looks like I'll be doing things one update at a time / one file at a time which is fine.

BTW: What is a "mod?" And when you refer to a "custom file," I'm assuming that a stylesheet that dictates the background color or a customized header - those are custom files and I want to be certain that a default file isn't named the same as my customized header for example, correct? But what is a mod and how do I be wise about the way I'm upgrading so as not to disturb something significant that I might otherwise gloss over?

Sir Osis of Liver

If you upgrade one step at a time in package manager, you don't have to do anything with files unless there are errors.  Mods are modifications that add features to SMF, they're basically third party addons.  They're installed with package manager, same as the upgrades.  You can look in Admin -> Package Manager -> Installed Packages to see if any mods are currently installed on your forum.  Upgrading in package manager does not remove mods, but you may get errors if an installed mod has edited code targeted by the patch.  Some forums also contain customizations, code edits that are done manually to add or modify features.  These will also be retained if you upgrade with package manager, and may also cause errors.  The errors can be fixed by manually editing code so the mod or upgrade can be installed successfully.

- R. Waters

radnor302

I personally this week went from 2.0 to 2.0.15.  I went in increments of 5.
Downloaded to my computer .1 to .5.  Unzipped them. Each patch had it's own folder
with just a few files in it.  Uploaded all 5 folders to the Packages folder.  And installed them 
from Admin -> Package Manager -> Installed Packages.  Each one took seems like a minute. It's a quick process.

Then patches .6 to .10.  And again for .11 to .15.

I tried to D/L them directly to forum but it complained. Stating an error in D/L.  Maybe folder permissions.

Illori

if you post the error next time we can assist with resolving it. unzipping the files is not required.

Advertisement: