News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Bad links for SOME attachments

Started by SethStudent, November 03, 2019, 06:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't see any files with .dat extensions in /attachments or /attachments2 so you're good.  One thing I noticed, your /attachments directory reports 9998 files in FileZilla.  There may be more than that, some ftp servers are configured so they'll show you 9998 files max.  Files are still there and will work in SMF, but you won't be able to see them or manage them in ftp client.  Most cpanel file managers are extremely slow when dealing with that many files, so they're pretty much useless when you're up over 10k files.  This may also be affecting the file counts you see in attachment file maintenance.  If you have a decent host, they should be able to reconfigure ftp server to give you a complete listing.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

SethStudent

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 26, 2019, 05:07:41 PM
your /attachments directory reports 9998 files in FileZilla.

Huh, is this message for me? I'm really confused. You were able to ftp into my directory? 'Splain yourself, lol. I don't have 9998 attachments, only 1626.

Sir Osis of Liver

Oops, no, that's not you.  Working on three forums right now, getting a bit too old for multitasking.  (Getting?  Already got there. :P)  Any idea how the .dat extensions were added to your attachments?  Were you tinkering with 2.1 at any point?

- R. Waters

SethStudent

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 26, 2019, 05:40:31 PM
Oops, no, that's not you.  Working on three forums right now, getting a bit too old for multitasking.  (Getting?  Already got there. :P)  Any idea how the .dat extensions were added to your attachments?  Were you tinkering with 2.1 at any point?

I figured as much, lol. I was just surprised someone else was dealing with .dat issues, or did I send you ftp info in my sleep?

I've been wondering how that whole situation came about myself. I know quite a while ago I did a test 2.1 upgrade, in a separate directly, but that should not have affected my production site unless I messed something up with the settings. I honestly can't see me uploading an Attachments folder backup from a 2.1 site into my 2.0 one unless I got something mixed up. I'm very careful these days.

I hear you on the multitasking, there are days when I think I should just throw in the towel.

Sir Osis of Liver

2.0 never added a file extension to attachments, the .dat extension was added in 2.1 to address a problem with FileZilla.  Any files with the extension would had to have been attached in a 2.1 install, and somehow found their way to your 2.0 production forum.

- R. Waters

SethStudent

Advertisement: