News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Notifying admin when a new member joins - STOPPED WORKING

Started by Roozbeh, November 30, 2019, 03:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Roozbeh

No 🙂 Every time I miss any email, spam folder is the first place I check. no email came through during this issue.

Sir Osis of Liver

Well, that makes no sense.  But there's nothing wrong with your forum, so that's the good news.

- R. Waters

m4z

What's your hosting situation, do you have access to your server's mail logs, f.e. via cpanel?
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Roozbeh

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 30, 2019, 06:59:55 PM
Well, that makes no sense.  But there's nothing wrong with your forum, so that's the good news.

thanks a lot for your help.

Not expert on SMF source code but last couple of days I started reading the SMF code and realized there are special treatments for hotmail email address when it comes to sendmail() function. is it possible that the some of these emails might not be correctly recognized as hotmail and mistreated?

again thanks for your help.

Roozbeh

Quote from: m4z on November 30, 2019, 07:01:35 PM
What's your hosting situation, do you have access to your server's mail logs, f.e. via cpanel?

I'm using Godaddy. unfortunately don't know how to access it. still it does not make sense when testmail.php's email goes through but email from forum get stuck. it's does not seem to be server's problem as @Sir Osis of Liver mentioned.

Illori

it is possible your email provider is killing off the email before it even gets to you. we have seen this before. you would need to slightly modify the email that SMF is sending and you will start to receive the emails.

Roozbeh

Quote from: Illori on November 30, 2019, 07:26:40 PM
it is possible your email provider is killing off the email before it even gets to you. we have seen this before. you would need to slightly modify the email that SMF is sending and you will start to receive the emails.

what do you mean by "slightly modify the email that SMF is sending"? do you mean I change the content of default email sent by SMF?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Exactly, if the email is for some reason blocked due to contents, then changing the contents might work.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Roozbeh

yes GoDaddy, however, with your help and GoDaddy's support page I managed to setup the SMTP format which fixed my initial issue of not receiving any email. now I can receive email but still when the new members login to the forum I won't be able to receive any notification. It seems like notifyadmin() function won't be able to access the list of admin email(s).

Illori

I would suggest you to modify the email first and see if that helps. if not then we can look into other options.

Roozbeh

good point, I'll do that and share the result. thanks!

Roozbeh

Quote from: Illori on December 02, 2019, 01:52:50 PM
I would suggest you to modify the email first and see if that helps. if not then we can look into other options.

hi Illori you were right the email content was the reason for blocking the notification emails. I'm not sure if it's the link to new member profile or the wording itself. I guess I need to figure it out by trial and error. thank you again for your help.

m4z

Please share your findings (and mark the topic as solved in the bottom left when the mystery is solved)!
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Roozbeh

after several trial and error, it turns out that any email with 'A new member has joined' as subject is being blocked by my domain host (i.e. GoDaddy). so in order to temporarily fix the issue, I modified all the subjects to ''New member has joined' in the 'Themes\default\languages\EmailTemplates.english.php' file. Now Everything is back to normal and I'll be able to receive notification email when new member joins.

thank you everyone for your help.

Advertisement: