News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to delete user groups?

Started by ApexPrime, March 12, 2020, 05:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApexPrime

I'm trying to get a setup for new registrations where they get tossed into a restricted group that an admin must manually place them into the "normal user" group.

I've got the restricted group set to be required by post count 0, but I need to remove Newbie, Jr. Member, Sr. Member, and Hero Member. There are no options to delete these groups though. Can someone please help me delete these groups I named?

Kindred

You can delete those groups freon the manage group screen.  However,  what you set up will not do what you want.

The groups you mention are post count based groups.  Members ALWAYS belong to at least one post count based group and are automatically moved in and out based on their post count.
There is no option to manually move a member in or out. You can only do that with regular groups.

Also, by default what you ask for, in terms of setup is not possible. Users are not placed into a group by default
(The general members group is special,  EVERYONE is part of that group)

There is a mod for it, though.

The question is, however,  WHY? What, specifically,  are you trying to accomplish with your restriction?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

also you cannot remove the 0 post count group newbie, you can change the name of it but do NOT remove it from the database or everyone will end up admin.

ApexPrime

Quote from: Kindred on March 12, 2020, 06:47:10 AM
You can delete those groups freon the manage group screen.  However,  what you set up will not do what you want.

The groups you mention are post count based groups.  Members ALWAYS belong to at least one post count based group and are automatically moved in and out based on their post count.
There is no option to manually move a member in or out. You can only do that with regular groups.

Also, by default what you ask for, in terms of setup is not possible. Users are not placed into a group by default
(The general members group is special,  EVERYONE is part of that group)

There is a mod for it, though.

The question is, however,  WHY? What, specifically,  are you trying to accomplish with your restriction?

Thanks for the info. I'm not planning on my forum getting very big. I'll be amazed if I get 50 real users to join.
That said, I want signing up to be pretty simple, but to not have to deal with spam, so the plan is to toss an email in my rules section that people email with their username, and than I manually allow them to post.

It's my understanding that spambots can solve stuff like recapcha pretty easily, but I also didn't notice an option to use it - but I see it on here, so that could be an option.

Could you direct me to that mod, or give me it's name, btw?

Thanks.

Kindred

Overall, captcha (the base install) is useless. ReCaptcha is slightly better....

but the real way to prevent spammers is to use good questions (a core feature)

Here's an article from our wiki on dealing with spammers
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: