News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Same topic moved to two different forums?

Started by njtweb, December 06, 2019, 01:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njtweb

This most likely doesn't make sense but thought I'd ask.

I create topic A. I call it "This Team vs That Team 12/6/2019". The topic will contain the full game replay video embedded with a box score.

Tomorrow when the game is complete I'd like to move it to both "This Team" and "That Team's" own forums.

Reason: My site is a hockey forum. Once the game is over, I want to archive the game in each of the team's own forums solely for archiving purposes.

Is it possible? If so does it break anything or cause duplicate content?

Thank you to all in advance.

Arantor

It's not possible without work. A topic lives in one board and to rewrite that would be massive work. Redesign the entire core, levels of work.

It might be possible to write a mod to make a topic be a redirect topic or even do something fancy about copying the first post (but then you end up with two threads that have different replies)

Incidentally this is much easier in 2.1 where the underlying redirect topics you'd need to make can exist but porting that to 2.0 is not trivial.

vbgamer45

I have a copy topic mod that copies a whole topic which might be useful as well check the mod site. Both topics would be unique though if you edit one it won't affect the other vice versa.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

njtweb

Quote from: Arantor on December 06, 2019, 01:26:45 PM
It's not possible without work. A topic lives in one board and to rewrite that would be massive work. Redesign the entire core, levels of work.

It might be possible to write a mod to make a topic be a redirect topic or even do something fancy about copying the first post (but then you end up with two threads that have different replies)

Incidentally this is much easier in 2.1 where the underlying redirect topics you'd need to make can exist but porting that to 2.0 is not trivial.

Hello Arantor, thank you for the details. I figured as much. I've been trying to come up with something which would make it easier and make sense. Basically what I have now is 5 pages of games which makes the guest traffic have to sift through games they don't care about just to find the one they want.

Could I make redirect topics to go to the game in each of the teams own forums, without actually doing anything with the original posted topic in the main league forum?

Arantor

Bear in mind the redirect thing doesn't have a UI in the format you'd want, it becomes raw database changes >_> and I don't think you're on 2.1 yet...

njtweb

Quote from: Arantor on December 06, 2019, 01:34:36 PM
Bear in mind the redirect thing doesn't have a UI in the format you'd want, it becomes raw database changes >_> and I don't think you're on 2.1 yet...

You are correct I'm still on 2.0.15. Just looking to make it easier on each team's fans so they could go directly to their team forum and find only their games.

So, if I do the upgrade to 2.1, if I understand correctly, I could do something like what I imagine?

Thank you

Arantor

If you upgraded, you could manually change the database to get something like it, yes.

njtweb

Quote from: vbgamer45 on December 06, 2019, 01:29:12 PM
I have a copy topic mod that copies a whole topic which might be useful as well check the mod site. Both topics would be unique though if you edit one it won't affect the other vice versa.

I missed this and seeing it now. When you say it copies the topic, does that mean I can re-write a brand new topic title for each one and still keep the original post in place, but now have 3 topics, the original and a copy for each team in their own forums?

Does this create a duplicate content penalty?

vbgamer45

Yes, you can edit any of the copied topics there treated as distinct.  Anytime you have duplicate content your run that risk.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

njtweb

Quote from: vbgamer45 on December 06, 2019, 02:07:06 PM
Yes, you can edit any of the copied topics there treated as distinct.  Anytime you have duplicate content your run that risk.

Crap, not something I'm willing to risk. I guess I'll just leave it as is.

GL700Wing

I haven't tried it but the Clone Topic mod will do what you need - it allows a topic to be displayed in multiple boards using links. I
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: