Upgrading PHP - which one? Tips?

Started by landyvlad, December 12, 2019, 02:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

My 2.0.15 forum is still running on PHP 5.6

My host has recommended that I upgrade it (to make it more efficient in processing so my site isn't slowing down), and no doubt it's overdue.

So

1. What PHP version should I upgrade to? 7.1? (I gather 2.0.15 isn't 7.2 compatible, but 2.0.16 will be?)

2. What actions/changes (if any) do I need to do to ensure it all still works properly when I upgrade?

Thanks

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

You may have to get your hosting support to tweak it some, but mine runs pretty good on 7.1...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: landyvlad on December 12, 2019, 02:03:45 AM
My 2.0.15 forum is still running on PHP 5.6

My host has recommended that I upgrade it (to make it more efficient in processing so my site isn't slowing down), and no doubt it's overdue.

So

1. What PHP version should I upgrade to? 7.1? (I gather 2.0.15 isn't 7.2 compatible, but 2.0.16 will be?)

2. What actions/changes (if any) do I need to do to ensure it all still works properly when I upgrade?

Thanks
The first thing you'd need to do is make a complete backup of BOTH all the files AND the database

landyvlad

.. presumably in case it screws everything up I can then roll back to 5.6 and reinstall from the backup, yeah?

It's always a good idea to do so and I do regularly however is it LIKELY to screw up?

Aside from changing the PHP version on the hosting account what else do I need to do SMF wise? - if anything.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Illori

upgrading php version as long as you are on SMF 2.0.15 and the php version will not be over php 7.1, you should not run into any issues. SMF 2.0 does not support php 7.2 at this time.

SMF 2.0.16 will support php 7.2

landyvlad

Thank you muchly.

Are there likely to be any issue with mods?
Any easy way to find out?

I naturally don't expect anyone to do a detailed investigation on my behalf, just point me in the right direction please.

Does anyone know of any of the below which will not work under PHP 7.1 ?

I'm running the current versions of-

1.   @mention members   
2.   Automatic Attachment Rotation (and Resize)   
3.   Birthday Posts
4.   Bot Buster
5.   Copyright and Footer Links
6.   Country Flags
7.   Downloads System
8.   Google Member Map
9.   Hall Of Fame
10.   httpBL   
11.   Image Processing Memory Limit
12.   Like Posts
13.   Responsive Curve
14.   Show JDALLAUI in Post and PM
15.   SMF Gallery Pro   
16.   SMF Gallery Pro SSI
17.   SMF Links
18.   SMF Post Prefix
19.   Sortable Packages (and Installed Time)
20.   Stop Spammer
21.   TinyPortal
22.   Topics Created And Participated In
23.   Yet Another YouTube BBCode Tag

Cheers

Dzonny

Hey there.

It's unlikely that someone will know exactly for all the mods, as there's quite number of them that you're using.
Normally you should seek that info in mods specific support thread, that you may find for each mod, though I believe that those will work fine on 5.6-7.1 versions.

landyvlad

Advertisement: