Capcha in first PM

Started by tdennis, December 13, 2019, 01:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdennis

I have several members that just could not get through the capcha letters when they go to send their first PM. I ended up having to change the level from High to Medium in order for me to get the capcha letters correct (I would have sworn I had the correctly entered but never could get through).
I really would like to remove this process from sending of the first PM (they had to get through it to register, no need to do it the second time). I saw in an old post where you could stop this process for first PM and that it was shown in the Anti-Spam section (below) but I see not setting for this function. Is there something I am missing or possibly it is now somewhere else that I have not found?
Thanks
Dennis

QuoteAnti-Spam Verification

Require verification on registration page - Select to enable this function.
    Require verification on all guest searches - Select to enable this function.
    Guests must pass verification when making a post - Automatically set if you specify a minimum post count below
    Post count under which users must pass verification to make a post - This setting will force users to pass anti-spam bot verification each time they make a post to a board. Only users with a post count below the number set will need to enter the code - this should help combat automated spamming scripts.
    Guests must pass verification when reporting a post - Select to enable this function.
    Maximum number of recipients allowed in a personal message - (0 for no limit, admins are exempt) This option allows you to set the maximum amount of recipients allowed in a single personal message sent by a forum member. This may be used to help stop spam abuse of the PM system. Note that users with permission to send newsletters are exempt from this restriction. Set to zero for no limit.
    Post count under which users must pass verification when sending personal messages - (0 for no limit, admins are exempt) This setting will force users to enter a code shown on a verification image each time they are sending a personal message. Only users with a post count below the number set will need to enter the code - this should help combat automated spamming scripts.
    Number of personal messages a user may send in an hour - This will limit the number of personal messages which may be sent by a user in a one hour period. This does not affect admins or moderators.

Kindred

there is no such setting by default in SMF.

the only setting is, as you have above:
Post count under which users must pass verification when sending personal messages

if you had something set so that everyone has to use captcha on the first PM, then it was a mod

personally, I don;t use captcha at all. It's basically useless at this point, against bots.
Use the verification questions instead.  Set 10-20 questions and ask 1-2 at registration
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

tdennis

Advertisement: