php 7.4 compatibility for SMF 2.0.x?

Started by spiros, December 13, 2019, 01:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiros

This smfhacks mod here works pretty well for up to php 7.3. Any ideas whether it would work for php 7.4?
https://www.smfhacks.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=215

I think that since php 7.1 has reached end of life as well as security support, the compatibility issue with newer versions is quite important.

vbgamer45

I havent tested with 7.4 yet been running 7.3 myself.

I try to late for a couple updates a few months before jumping to a major version in case they have some issues to fix yet.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

spiros

It works error-free in 7.3, to the extent that it makes me wonder why not apply the fixes to the actual SMF codebase. It does not make much sense to have unsupported php versions on one's servers and many hosts do not allow for them even if one wanted so.

As far as I can see these are most of the changes that could affect SMF: https://www.php.net/manual/en/migration74.deprecated.php

Kindred

2.0.16 adds 7.2 support.

And "adding to the SMF codebase" is not as simple as adding a mod to your site (from a development point of view). We have ALOT of work to do to make it so that YOU can use a single click to install updates
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SpacePhoenix

Initial testing with 2.0.15 (clean install - no mods): no CSS files loaded at all. Error reporting cranked up to maximum

L2Scarlet

Quote from: Kindred on December 13, 2019, 01:57:26 PM
2.0.16 adds 7.2 support.

And "adding to the SMF codebase" is not as simple as adding a mod to your site (from a development point of view). We have ALOT of work to do to make it so that YOU can use a single click to install updates

"We have ALOT of work to do"
1. They will need to update the whole SMF code from 10 years ago.. and that's not gonna happen :P
2. 2.0.16 will be PHP 7.2 compatible but when.. nobody knows. Perhaps after PHP 7.3 EOL? :)
3. No comment! SMF is great!

MobileCS

spiros

2.0.16 adds 7.2 support.

[quote author=Kindred link=topic=570874.msg4040171#msg4040171

Hi Kindred, thanks for letting me know about that, I was not aware of it. As for the second part, to be honest—and please pardon my ignorance—I do not really understand the difference, given that the above mod already provides support to php 7.3. Why the edits contained therein could not be implemented in the codebase?

I guess when 2.0.16 is out one would have to uninstall the said mod first? And then that mod would have to be adapted to provide support for php 7.3/7.4 vbgamer45?

The positive thing about php 7.2 is that security support is provided up to 30 Nov 2020.

Illori

Quote from: MobileCS on December 13, 2019, 09:44:15 PM
2.0.16 adds 7.2 support.

2.0.16 won't support PHP 7.3 or 7.4?

no it will not have support for those built in. if it did then we would not get it released for a long time to come and that is not our plan.

a10

Quote from: spiros on December 14, 2019, 02:28:00 AM
The positive thing about php 7.2 is that security support is provided up to 30 Nov 2020.

Less than a year 'till end of support is not much positive imo, probably soon thereafter getting removed from hoster options. Would be really nice to not see yearly repeats of this year's smf-php situation :O)
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

spiros

Well, SMF is run by volunteers, nobody can force anyone to do free work -:)

a10

^^^ https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=569552.msg4039532#msg4039532

Situation with 2.0 on what I'd call life support, and 2.1 not in the immediate horizon.
Whatever software, free or pay, for the end user it's a matter of trust in the future.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

MobileCS

Quote from: Illori on December 14, 2019, 05:28:30 AM
Quote from: MobileCS on December 13, 2019, 09:44:15 PM
2.0.16 adds 7.2 support.

2.0.16 won't support PHP 7.3 or 7.4?

no it will not have support for those built in. if it did then we would not get it released for a long time to come and that is not our plan.

Well we have waited this long already, what is a little extra time? It can't be that much more work to make it compatible.

Otherwise, we'll have this issue all over again next year.

Illori

we are not adding anything else to the 2.0.16 release.

Kindred

and, until you have done actual software development with coding, testing, fixing and public releases, all with volunteers - not paid employees - please don't assume that doing something "can't be that much more work"
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MobileCS

Quote from: Kindred on December 14, 2019, 05:23:03 PM
and, until you have done actual software development with coding, testing, fixing and public releases, all with volunteers - not paid employees - please don't assume that doing something "can't be that much more work"

I only said that because I've seen all the "migrating from" changes on PHP.net and there wasn't that many differences between PHP 7.2 - 7.4.

Also, there is no reason to get upset with me - especially when you don't even allow outside help for the 2.0.x branch. Many hands make light work!

spiros

This will be helpful for anybody taking up the task

Also I used this to locate and replace the curly braces:
Search: $([A-Za-z0-9_]+){$([A-Za-z0-9]+)}
Replace: $\1[$\2]

Also searched for and found a few more: $([A-Za-z0-9_]+){
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/5891

spiros

Quote from: vbgamer45 on December 13, 2019, 01:42:39 PM
I havent tested with 7.4 yet been running 7.3 myself.

I try to late for a couple updates a few months before jumping to a major version in case they have some issues to fix yet.

I tried updating to 2.0.16 in an install with your compat mod, but gave errors. I had to uninstall it. I guess you will adapt it for 2.0.16?

vbgamer45

7.4 requires a couple of changes in SMF 2.0.x in order to work which are currently being explored.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

spiros

Oh, I see, I meant for php 7.3 + SMF 2.0.16, if you plan to have support up to 7.4 that's a bonus.

Advertisement: