News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Number of processes in cPanel, latest SMF 2.0.15 and China bots

Started by L2Scarlet, December 13, 2019, 06:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L2Scarlet

Hi everyone..
Number of processes in cPanel, latest SMF 2.0.15 and China bots. Which one can cause this to happen?
PHP 7.1, cPanel, CloudLinux, MariaDB, etc...

Number of processes on two forums :)
50/55

See this picture..
https://imgur.com/irqoaXh

How can I fix this.. thanks in advance.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

m4z

We also tried to help you with regard to the "host" processes, indepentent of the China bots, here already, but you seem to have ignored the advice. If you are limited in the number of processes, following that advice is really recommended...

It looks weird to me though that you have multiple host processes running for identical IP addresses, but that might be normal if the bots hit multiple pages at the same time (I'm not using that feature, so I don't know).
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

L2Scarlet

You know what is weird cause there is no "feature" and no mods installed except PrettyURLs. Clean SMF install.
..and you know what, it happens ONLY with SMF.. yeah, that's weird :/ So there's no help in that even if I write on suppport. All my posts was deleted, but now I'm convinced about people from SMF.

Thank you for nothing.

Illori

admin -> server settings disable hostname lookups check the box and save. that should fix this.

which is the same advice given in the other topic.

also if you are talking about us deleting your posts, we have not been.

L2Scarlet

Quote from: Illori on December 14, 2019, 10:02:52 AM
admin -> server settings disable hostname lookups check the box and save. that should fix this.

which is the same advice given in the other topic.

also if you are talking about us deleting your posts, we have not been.

And you think that will fix my problem with high number of processes created by SMF?

m4z

Did you even read any of the advice given to you? It's cleary visible in your post in the other thread and your screenshot above that most of your processes are "host".
If that is not the case, please provide more useful screenshots and information.
--Homer Simpson

L2Scarlet

.. those processes are created by SMF forums and there are many other websites on my host whitout any problem from years..

I'm using PHP 7.1, cPanel crap, Cloudlinux and MariaDB. <- and is not from these..

There's is something weird with the SMF /forum/index.php crap file

m4z

Quote from: L2Scarlet on December 14, 2019, 01:37:28 PM
.. those processes are created by SMF forums

That is exactly what we are saying. Your forum is configured to do DNS lookups. That is done via the "host" program. Turn that option (previously I called it "feature") off, and the processes will go away. Illori even looked up for you where exactly you have to go to do that.
--Homer Simpson

L2Scarlet

fck, if this was the issue with this called "feature" then OMG.. you'll have to make some guide or note somewhere for all SMF users because this can be fatal for some web servers with cPanel crap and Cloudlinux processes.. why? Because it can crash the whole server when Number of Processes get at their max limit.

Ok. I checked
Disable evaluation of templates
Disable hostname lookups

..and I added those require all and denied IPs in htaccess from sitewizards...

Thanks a lot, I'll apply these sh1t on my other SMF forums and I'll be back in january 2020 after testing period ;)

https://media.giphy.com/media/iNgDHqsVSyJ0s/giphy.gif

m4z

Quote from: L2Scarlet on December 14, 2019, 01:53:26 PM
fck, if this was the issue with this called "feature" then OMG.. you'll have to make some guide or note somewhere for all SMF users because this can be fatal for some web servers with cPanel crap and Cloudlinux processes.. why? Because it can crash the whole server when Number of Processes get at their max limit.

You have to realize your hosting situation is uncommon. The problem also has nothing to with cpanel (which is a common hosting management webinterface) or cloudlinux (which is a common linux distribution), but only with the process limit set by your hoster. Also, DNS lookup is a common feature in many software products.
While I personally agree that it should be off by default, there's no real "reasonable" default, arguments and use cases for both exist.

If you don't fully understand an answer or something mentioned here, ask questions (instead of calling every other software "crap"). Otherwise, in the long run you will have more problems than necessary (and people will be less willing to help). ;)
It's really hard for us to find a middle ground between the hardcore nerd and grandma who just learned how to setup SMF. If you don't tell us you don't understand parts of our answer, we might never explain it in more detail, because how would we know?

Ok. I checked
Disable hostname lookups

"Disable evaluation of templates" has nothing to with your issue and nobody mentioned it. Disabling it (AFAIK) means you can only send static mails, without any variables in them.

..and I added those require all and denied IPs in htaccess from sitewizards...

I guess you're referring to some kind of blacklist?
--Homer Simpson

Illori

Quote from: m4z on December 14, 2019, 02:21:03 PM
Ok. I checked
Disable hostname lookups

"Disable evaluation of templates" has nothing to with your issue and nobody mentioned it. Disabling it (AFAIK) means you can only send static mails, without any variables in them.

this has nothing to do with sending emails, it has to do with how errors are logged in the error log with or without eval.

Advertisement: