News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to Enable Formatting Hotkeys?

Started by JoshuaD, December 23, 2019, 01:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshuaD

Ah, that's right. That's the thing I did last time as well. Thank you.

Ok so good news is the hotkeys are working on the fresh install.  I should be able to figure out how to fix this from there. Thanks guys. I'll post if I run into another wall.

m4z

It's a known bug, sadly we don't keep a central list of these (yet? Adding a ToDo for myself). As Sir Osis said, running repair_settings fixes the issue.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

JoshuaD

The issues seems to lie in the database, surprisingly.  Here's my current setup:

1. I have a fresh install (i.e. "test forum") connecting to a fresh database (i.e "test database") and with a completely fresh set of files (i.e. "test files"), modified only by three addons that I intend to use.  On this fresh install, the hotkeys are working.

2. I have the old install at /forum (i.e. "original forum") connecting to the original database with the original set of files.  On this install, hotkeys are not working.

Here's what I did to come to that conclusion that the issue is in the original database, not the files.  After each test I reverted the changes.

1. I edited the original forum's Settings.php to make $boarddir, $sourcedir, and $cachedir point at the files from testResult: Hotkeys still do not work on the original forum.

2. I edited the test forum's Settings.php to make $boarddir, $sourcedir, and $cachedir point at the files from the original forum.  Result: Hotkeys continued to work on the test forum.

3. I edited the original forum's Settings.php to make all of the $db_ variables point at the test databaseResult: Hotkeys started working on the original forum.

4. I edited the test forum's Settings.php to make all of the $db_ variables point at the original databaseResult: Hotkeys stopped working on the test forum.

Based on the foregoing, it seems relatively clear to me that the issue is somehow in the existing database.

I'm a bit at a loss on how to proceed next to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

Kindred

your test scenario is only partially valid...

there are paths in other places other than the settings file.
there are things stored in the database which will not work as expected by just pointing one install or another at it...

For example:
If you have a mod which installs using hooks -- and you then point a different installation of files at that database, the hooks will trigger and fail, because they won't be able to find/load the hooked Sources and templates.  If your issue lies in one of those hooked files, then the method of your testoung would have the same result -- because the mod which breaks the hotkeys would not be loaded.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JoshuaD

I see.  Do you have a suggestion on how I can go about fixing this, or diagnosing where the problem is?

I also ran a `diff` on the two generated HTML emissions.  There were some superficial differences, but nothing in the html was different that seemed capable of being responsible for this loss in functionality.

I did not diff each referenced script file. I will probably try that tonight.

I feel like I'm kinda shooting blindly in the dark though.

JoshuaD

I'm an idiot. The answer was in the first post of this thread.  I assumed the "WYSIWG" editor had the standard meaning -- that during edit text looks the way it will look when posted -- I didn't realize it had a different meaning here and was the feature I was looking for.  I enabled that setting and we're up and running. Thanks guys.

Sir Osis of Liver

It's not necessary to enable WYSIWYG for hotkeys to work.  2.0 WYSIWYG doesn't work well and is not recommended, you should disable it.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

JoshuaD

Toggling that fixed the problem. Can we use that to troubleshoot the cause?

m4z

Quote from: JoshuaD on January 10, 2020, 09:37:11 PM
I'm an idiot. The answer was in the first post of this thread.  I assumed the "WYSIWG" editor had the standard meaning -- that during edit text looks the way it will look when posted -- I didn't realize it had a different meaning here and was the feature I was looking for.  I enabled that setting and we're up and running. Thanks guys.

It does have the same meaning. The first reply by Illori told you to disable WYSIWYG, just like Sir Osis did.

Edit: Illori, not Kindred
--Homer Simpson

JoshuaD

Here is the behavior I'm seeing:

1. If WYSIWYG is disabled and I use the plain-text editor, the hotkeys do not work.

2.  If WYSIWYG is enabled and I use the plain-text editor, the hotkeys do work.

This happens on both my actual forums and on the clean test forums I installed.

Are you guys having a different experience?  SMF 2.0.15.

m4z

I hadn't tested before (because I don't use WYSIWYG); I see the same behavior you're seeing.

Edit: Hmm, but your screenshots above show WYSIWYG disabled...
--Homer Simpson

Sir Osis of Liver

On clean install WYSIWYG is disabled by default, hotkeys work in post editor.  Am unable to replicate the glitch.

- R. Waters

m4z

My 2.0 test install was a clean 2.0.15, then patched to .16 and .17; only mod is Responsive Curve.
--Homer Simpson

Sir Osis of Liver

Patched .15 to .17, installed responsive curve 1.0.1, hotkeys work.

- R. Waters

m4z

Thanks for the details, the browser seems to matter!

My home setup (used above) is Linux Mint 19.x with Chromium (will edit in version later), and (to repeat myself) shortcuts work on WYS, don't work on Source.

My current setup is openSUSE 15.1:
- In Firefox 68.2.0esr (64-bit), and here the shortcuts work in both modes.
- In Chromium 79.0.3945.117 (openSUSE Build) (64-bit), same behavior as in my home setup (WYS: 👍, Source: 👎)
--Homer Simpson

m4z

Seeing the same behavior on Chrome 79.0.3945.117 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows.

Edit: and it works in Firefox Developer Edition on Windows.
--Homer Simpson

Sir Osis of Liver

I'm using FF72.  Thought it might be a browser glitch.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: