News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Re: Email test works, but newsletters don't

Started by BellGab.com, December 17, 2019, 06:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BellGab.com

When I go to "Newsletters" and send via email rather than PM, I don't see the 3...2...1 countdown I used to see.  Instead, when I send, the page immediately returns me to the main admin page and no mail is added to the queue.  Is this connected to the same issue described in this thread?  I've tried both SMTP and PHP.

m4z

Are you talking about a 2.1 forum or the 2.0.15 forum linked in your profile?
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

BellGab.com

Quote from: m4z on December 17, 2019, 11:28:12 PM
Are you talking about a 2.1 forum or the 2.0.15 forum linked in your profile?

Oh jeez. Sorry, I'm talking about 2.0.15. I found this thread via Google search and didn't realize it's 2.1 support.

m4z

No problem. I just wanted to make sure it's the same issue. I have split and moved this topic.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

BellGab.com

Quote from: m4z on December 18, 2019, 02:56:24 AM
No problem. I just wanted to make sure it's the same issue. I have split and moved this topic.

Thx.

Sir Osis of Liver

I've run into similar problems on several forums recently, just tested one now.  Forums are not sending any emails, testmail.php displays "Success", sometimes mail is received, just now not.  Appears to be a server problem affecting php mail, but haven't been able to figure it out.  testmail is not 100% reliable.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

BellGab.com

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 20, 2019, 12:02:41 PM
I've run into similar problems on several forums recently, just tested one now.  Forums are not sending any emails, testmail.php displays "Success", sometimes mail is received, just now not.

On my forum, sending an email newsletter to the regular users group should place thousands of emails in the queue and the 3...2...1... delay counter should go on for quite some time. However, in my case, I never see that counter at all and I'm immediately taken to the main admin page. Is this your experience as well? On my forum, not a single email is sent.

Sir Osis of Liver

Emails are not placed in queue, no emails are sent - topic notifications, password resets, admin notifications, nothing.  Odd thing is testmail.php will show "Success", sometimes testmail is received, sometimes not.  The forums I've seen this on are using php mail.  I have one forum that occasionally sends a topic notification, but usualy nothing.  Seems to be a server problem.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

BellGab.com

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on December 20, 2019, 09:13:54 PM
Emails are not placed in queue, no emails are sent - topic notifications, password resets, admin notifications, nothing.  Odd thing is testmail.php will show "Success", sometimes testmail is received, sometimes not.  The forums I've seen this on are using php mail.  I have one forum that occasionally sends a topic notification, but usualy nothing.  Seems to be a server problem.

Sounds like we are having different issues. I'm getting admin emails and password reset emails, etc.

Also, when it fails to send an email newsletter, there is no entry in the error log created.

Illori

could be your host is blocking the message or your recipient is blocking it before it even gets to them. try changing the subject or body of the email a bit and i bet it will arrive.

BellGab.com

Quote from: Illori on December 21, 2019, 07:45:29 PM
could be your host is blocking the message or your recipient is blocking it before it even gets to them. try changing the subject or body of the email a bit and i bet it will arrive.

No, it was an issue with SMF its self, which is why I wasn't seeing the delay counter on my end when I'd send (almost 5000 emails).

The 2.0.16 update seems to have fixed my issue as of five minutes ago.  Thanks for the input!

Advertisement: