News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Maintenance mode toggle takes 2 tries to stick

Started by Electrohaxer1971, January 07, 2020, 05:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electrohaxer1971

Hi folks, I hope you're all doing well.

I have an odd error that I was having before the 2.0.16-17 updates although it's not anything serious. Basically, when I toggle the checkbox Enable Maintenance Mode, it doesn't do anything on the first try. On the second, it sticks (i.e works). This is repetitive behaviour and it happens whether I'm switching to maintenance mode or turning it off.

About four months ago, I moved the forums (it was. 2.0.15 back then) from one web host to another and I don't recall this behaviour before.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks for your time.

d3vcho

So, basically, you toggle the checkbox, press Save and nothing happens? Is the checkbox still toggled, or do you have to toggle it again and press Save again for the changes to apply?
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Electrohaxer1971

Thanks for your response, d3vcho();, and sorry about not responding sooner. I guess I haven't turned on my profile settings in the right spot to let me know of responses to my posts. I'll fix that after this post.

Quote from: d3vcho(); on January 07, 2020, 05:33:02 AM
So, basically, you toggle the checkbox, press Save and nothing happens?

You know, that's what I thought was happening. Because the checkbox reverted the checkbox after clicking save (went back to no-check). and it didn't show it wasn't in maintenance mode. So I presumed it wasn't working.

But your question made me think wonder if it actually was working and just not updating the page immediately to show it?

So I went to another page and it showed maintenance mode at the top of the screen and when I went back to the server settings page where maintenance mode is, the checkbox was now toggled. So it did actually work - it just didn't show it. The same behaviour happened when I unchecked the box and clicked save to exit maintenance mode. The box reverted to being checked. And this time I just clicked the browser refresh button and it cleared the checkbox as it should have immediately.

So I wonder if what is happening is that the browser is slightly out of sync with the server by perhaps a second or two. And therefore, it doesn't update the page immediately when I click the box and click save. What do you think? Is that what is probably happening?

Either case, I can live with this now that I know it actually is working and a refresh will show the changes. I've noticed it with other settings that I have to save as well. I presumed it wasn't working, clicked it again, and it was. For example, where I choose the attachment settings, changed something and clicked Save. In some cases, like with these settings refresh didn't work, I have to switch to another page in the forums, and switch back and the changed settings were showing. Interesting.

Clearly this isn't an issue with SMF.

Advertisement: