Changing MySQL database

Started by PaperseraNet, January 07, 2020, 06:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaperseraNet

Good morning everybody... well, at least it is morning here in Italy! :-)

I have a sort of problem with my SMF installation: the software version is 2.0.14, the php version is 5.6.32 and MySQL is  4.1.25-standard-log.

Since i *need* to upgrade php to version 7.0.25, I will also move to a 5.6.44-86.0 MySQL version. To do this is I'll do the following steps:

- In Settings.php change $maintenance value to 2
- Export all tables from old MySQL server
- Import all tables to new MySQL server and optimize them
- In Settings.php change the database connection parameters to the new ones, namely $db_server, $db_name, $db_user and $db_passwd
- In Settings.php bring back $maintenance value to 0

Is it enough? Will anything work as before (or possibly better/faster than before)? Will all the attachments be in their place?

The forum size is quite big: almost 16,000 threads, 558,000 posts and more than 5,000 registered users... it would be a disaster if something gets messy! :o

Don't know if I can post the forum URL with my grants/number of messages, BTW it is http://www.papersera.net/forum [nofollow]  (www. papersera . net / forum )

Thank you,

- Paolo

SpacePhoenix

The first step should be to make a complete backup of both the code and the database

Kindred

Also, I don't think that 2.0.14 supports php7.0
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

PaperseraNet

Quote from: SpacePhoenix on January 07, 2020, 02:43:04 PM
The first step should be to make a complete backup of both the code and the database
Yep! That's step 0! :-)

BTW, the source database won't be modified by exporting and importing data into another server machine.

Quote from: Kindred on January 07, 2020, 09:19:39 PM
Also, I don't think that 2.0.14 supports php7.0

Ouch! That's a big one!  :(

Is there an official doc certifying SMF versions and php versions?

thank you,

- Paolo

Illori

ideally you should be upgraded to SMF 2.0.17 most importantly for security. also by doing that you will gain support for up to php 7.3

Advertisement: