News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

After update to 2.0.16 - Blank page

Started by zolander, January 09, 2020, 01:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antes

This WSOD requires more careful investigation, you should try something like;

copy your current database to new place (like localhost), set your php version either to 7.2 or 7.3, copy SMF 2.0.17 files and edit Settings.php manually to redirect that to the database you have and see if you are still having WSOD.

Cruiser57

Hi,

I got the WSOD, too.
My Hoster forced Update of PHP to at Least 7.2  (Opt. 7.3 or 7.4), so I did an the SMF 2.0.15 was and is running fine.
Then, regarding the Admin-Area in the Board, I saw the Updates to 2.0.16 and 2.0.17.
Reading the Tips, I uninstalled the GDPR-AddOn... then went to first try.
First I got a fault, trying to update to 2.0.16 (see attached Pic).
This was easy to solve, just the Update-Script has a Search-fault looking for a Line double.
Easy workaround in this case was giving the script the double Line to search by modding the Profile-Modify.php
In a second try the Update was shown as alright, and I did it.

The Update worked fine and ended in the Page, where I can go back to the Admin-Area, so I clicked it, and got the WSOD.

As I read the posts above, I tried thru the PHP-Versions on my Hoster, then, as it didn't help, I restored my Backup from this night.

The Board works well again after restoring to 2.0.15, even with PHP 7.2.

As I also read, the 2.0.17 Patch is exactly for the PHP-Problem.
Is there any way, to do the 2.0.16 & 2.0.17 in one single step ?

Or any other workaround ?

Thanks for any hints,
Tom

zolander

After contacting the host admin - the only error we can get: " [Thu Jan 09 19:38:23.972628 2020] [core:error] [pid 788:tid 47802568763136] [client 23.129.64.213:61400] Script timed out before returning headers: index.php"

I made a fresh 2.0.17 install - with empty db - works

No way to return to 2.0.15

this is some migration issue..
the new fresh install doens't work with the old db
after change the settings to point it back to the new empty one - still not working
and begins to work after clear sessions table

zolander

Last update - when in Settings.php language is set to English - page is loaded
$language = 'english'; //but site is not in proper view - all is @@#@#@#@

when changed to bulgarian-utf8 - blank page //should be in Bulgarian

this time installed from zip file, not Softaculous

if somehow user succeeded logging - everything's fine

zolander

Really last update and happy end :)

settings table in the old database replaced with settings table from the new fresh 2.0.17 install (some paths changed accordingly)

that solve the blank guest user page problem

still don't know what exactly in settings is the reason (suggestion - encoding)

Cruiser57

Hi...

@Zolander:
I checked your way, to follow it and installed a second "blank" Forum 2.0.17 on the rented Webspace.
This works fine.  So, I won't believe in problems with the PHP Versions ? (as 2.0.15 and 2.0.17 are running)
I also got me the "Settings" Table from the real database, and the Blank install, to compare them.
I found out, if I use the "Blank-Install" Settings-Table, I will loose all entries for Add-Ons of the SMF-Board.
Did you have the SMF-Installation without add-ons ?

To me, it seems, that the Update-Script is Buggy at a few places, e.g. the faulty search in Profile-Modify.php
Is the any chance, the SMF will bring a repaired script or a Guide how to fix the faults ?

Best regards,
Tom

Cruiser57

OK, I followed the testings of Zolander:

Complete Database-Copy, Complete copy of SMF-Board 2.0.15 and giving it a "Sub-Domain" Test.
This gives me the Option to play, without killing the real board.

Then I made an Upgrade to 2.0.16 on the copy, ending in the WSOD.
As I had the (prefix)_settings  table of the clean Installation, I testet yesterday, I replaced the settings table in the SQL-Database of the WSOD-Installation.
After this the WSOD-Installation was running fine again.
So, it's completely clear:  The Update doesn't fix the settings-table or can't work with some value in the settings.
Unfortunally... in the clean-installation settings-table all entries for the add-ons are missing.

Is the any idea, how to fix the original settings-table ?

Maybe delete the Entries for the GDPR Add-on, which should be deleted before updating to 2.0.16 ?

zolander

I don't have add-ons
But I have bulgarian-utf

And I did try a lot of things before find out what was the problem.

It is almost clear it is not php version problem-7.2.19 on the hosting, 7.3-local machine I used. But something did change my 2.0.15 settings and I still don't know what.

About the empty guest page- this was one of the most helpful advices here:
Quote from: Antes on January 10, 2020, 03:20:12 AM
This WSOD requires more careful investigation, you should try something like;

copy your current database to new place (like localhost), set your php version either to 7.2 or 7.3, copy SMF 2.0.17 files and edit Settings.php manually to redirect that to the database you have and see if you are still having WSOD.

Of course-thanks to everyone that tried to help!

Cruiser57

OK,
after 2 days testing & configurating, I'm without any idea.
As I wrote, I made a complete copy of my SMF Board.
On the Webhost I doubled the folder to a new Name.
I took a new SQL Database, downloaded the running one, and uploaded it to the new.
I changed a few parameters in the prf_settings table an the settings.php in the new folder for the new folder and Database.
I made an upgrade to 2.0.16, and as expected, I became the WSOD.
I took the prf_settings DB from the blank installation of 2.0.17, and loaded it into prf_settings of the new Database.
And the copied board is running fine.  I made a update to 2.0.17 on this board, and it's running fine.

So, I went yesterday, updating the live board the same way - but still have a WSOD.

I won't believe in a problem with PHP-version, because the Test-Board is running in the same Web-Space.
There is one important difference between the Live and the Test-Board:
the Live-Board is https:// with a certificate, as the Test-Board is http://test....  without certificate.
Do I need to change the settings to https: in the settings ?  (It's working for years with http)

No other Ideas left...

zolander

After copy the new settings to the old table, clear sessions table

Cruiser57

Ok, after Testing all this, I found out

A copy of my installation is running fine 'til next day, then I become again the WSOD.
A clean installations with no Mods installed is running with the same Database for a couple of days now.
(I mostly loaded a new xxx_settings table in the Database before, I saved from the Table right after installation, but this time, the new install is running with SQL-Data, which gives a WSOD in the updatet old board).
Regarding this, I believe, that one of the Add-Ons might write something in the Settings, bringing the WSOD

So, I'm still pretty sure, it's not the PHP-Version, but a worktogether between some of the Code and something in the pfx_settings table in the database.

What options are Left ?
- Continue with 2.0.15 'til there is a solution...
- Going to the live-board with a clean SMF-Installation without mods... (and maybe adding mods later step by step)
- Switching and converting to a different Forum-Software

Has anyone tried to find out, which add-ons are mostly used on Boards with the WSOD ?
I love a few, and don't want to give them up, e.g. Ultimate Profile or Yet Another YouTube BBCode Tag

dimmon_ua

Same problem, and nothing in error_log (

dimmon_ua

Only after delete Themes and copy new one from smf_2-0-16_install.zip, forum is up. Download and install Launguages smf_2-0-17_ukrainian-utf8.zip, smf_2-0-17_russian-utf8.zip work fine (in settings using $language = 'ukrainian-utf8';). Then Upgrade to 2.0.17 works fine. Now going to find what wrong in Themes.

Advertisement: