How to optimize SMF for Tor?

Started by Humorless, January 11, 2020, 03:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humorless

Hello, I am currently in the process of setting up a SMF forum for Tor. Don't worry it is legal 100%. I just don't know how to set it up, and would love to know how.

Humorless

I want to keep everything of my forum the same look as this forum, such as the stats feature on the bottom page, the bbcode and smileys above the typing box etc.  Is there a way I can also keep that?

Thanks in advance :3

Sir Osis of Liver

Are you trying to set up an onion service? 
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Never tried it, but I believe the forum should run as a normal install, except everything will be slow.  A lot of Tor nodes (a.k.a. relays) are very slow, and many are blacklisted because they're used by hackers and spammers.  There's nothing you can do with SMF to improve performance problems that will cause.  It will be like running on a very bad host, and may be inaccessible at times to some users.  If you haven't been there already, some info here.

- R. Waters

Humorless

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 11, 2020, 06:00:50 PM
Never tried it, but I believe the forum should run as a normal install, except everything will be slow.  A lot of Tor nodes (a.k.a. relays) are very slow, and many are blacklisted because they're used by hackers and spammers.  There's nothing you can do with SMF to improve performance problems that will cause.  It will be like running on a very bad host, and may be inaccessible at times to some users.  If you haven't been there already, some info hxxp:2019.www.torproject.org/docs/onion-services.html.en [nonactive].
Thanks mate, I just don't know how or what to do with the files. I got a webserver(Daniels Hosting), and the V3 onion domain too. I might be using a different software, but the files are my main issue for any forum software I try.

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you read through this?  If I can get around to it, will give it a try tonight.

- R. Waters

Humorless

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 17, 2020, 12:36:50 PM
Did you read through hxxp:2019.www.torproject.org/docs/tor-onion-service.html.en [nonactive]?  If I can get around to it, will give it a try tonight.
I did, but if I use Daniel's hosting, I already get a onion site for free.

Sir Osis of Liver

You should ask host support how to set it up.  The Tor documentation refers to setting up a local server, which is not what you're doing (it's a bad idea unless you know a lot more than I do).

- R. Waters

Advertisement: