News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Phanton clone

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, January 11, 2020, 06:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

One of my guys has been receiving registration notifications from a domain other than his own.  His forum has apparently been copied into another domain on a different server, running a dump of his database from approx. a month ago.  The legit forum is here, clone is here.  Clone is somewhat functional, registration works, lot of internal links don't.  Haven't been able to search up anything useful for quickphpfix.com.  ICANN lookup shows nameservers at quickfix10.com.  Oddly, quickfix.com redirects to washingtonpost.com, which I read regularly.  Never seen anything like this before.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

AlanDewey

nslookup for the evil domain leads us to    InMotion Hosting, Inc in California. 

I have seen i.p.s for InMotion Hosting Inc in my server logs way to often, attempting to do bad things.   These i.p. ranges get blocked.   This i.p. range for InMotion is a new one for me, so blocked it just a minute ago.

I see the paypal donate link for the evil site is different than the legit site; is it worth trying to get Paypal involved?  At least shut off their donate link?
Causing lots of electrons to push each other around since 1985.

Looking

Without knowing the case I would ask if DNS entries are correctly setup / if there is not cross domain stuff set out that hasn't been removed.

Sir Osis of Liver

Been offline since last night, just catching up.  The Paypal link in treasury mod goes to the correct PayPal account, it hasn't been jacked.  Forum owner has only one domain in his host account, has no idea what quickphpfix.com is.  Believe he posted a complaint to domain registrar, the clone is still running.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

This ends up being a Hostgator screwup.  Forum owner had moved to HG for a day, didn't like it, cancelled account and got refund.  Last post date on clone corresponds with day he did it.  Apparently, for whatever reason, HG uses this domain to set up new accounts.  Clone was removed on request, diffderent website is running at that domain today.

- R. Waters

m4z

"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

drewactual

that is tacky as can be... i was watching this as i had a similar issue when i moved servers some time back from VPS to dedicated- and.... gouged up the DNS settings at the top level registar.  still having access to the 'old' server i changed the name of index to something else, and set up an index.html (the server setting for default, obviously) and a forward... it happened until i realized i hadn't changed the top level, so... once that was altered and time enough to propagate, never saw it again. 

what you were explaining sounded like a straight up hijack- so i kept my jawls shut instead of offering up my experience.  looks like perhaps i should have when i first saw this.

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't think it was malicious, just stupid.  Hostgator was running this bootleg for almost a month, forum owner wouldn't have known if he hadn't started receiving registration notifications from bots registering at different domain.  There's still a different website running at that domain.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: