News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Monitoring Guests - strange log entries

Started by airdave, January 13, 2020, 05:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airdave

I have been heavily monitoring my Guest visitors since just before Xmas.
We had a big spike in guests and (I assume) bot activity...and the number of daily visitors tripled (quadrupled?).

I have security in place that is taking care of registrations, so only legit humans get through.
And we manually examine and approve every new registration (only 3-6 per week so its easy)
So Bots are being stopped at the front door (in other words)

But I have been watching the Guest activity logs, and paying attention to "Actions" (what pages are being viewed, etc)
and I ban IPs that appear to be trying repeatedly to register and/or log in.

Funny thing is, only a few days ago, these two new "actions" appeared.
I swear I've never seen them before...and now they have both popped up 3 or 4 times in the past 7 days.
How can the system not know what the guest is doing?

I know both IPs, and they are blacklisted spammers.
First is from a group of similar IPs out of the Netherlands Some of this group I have already banned.
Is the "unknown action" the result of the IP ban I have in place?

Second one is a new sighting out of Bangladesh I've never seen before.
The action listed with this one really concerns me.

New things like this scare me.
Is it something of concern?

a10

QuoteIs it something of concern?
No :O)

f.ex. some blind, stupid bot may try some misdirected wordpress stuff or whatever on the site, thus doing something smf will not recognize. Have had tons of these over time on my forum, zero harm.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

airdave

well thats a relief.
thanks!!!!

odd that I've never seen this before in all the years I have had this forum. but things change I guess.

Advertisement: