News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Converting Likes from 2.0.x "Like Posts" to 2.1 Likes

Started by Tarkus, January 16, 2020, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I've been an admin on an SMF forum for almost 12 years now, which I recently took over as owner/webmaster.  Presently, I'm running SMF 2.0.15 (just found out about 2.0.17), and have also installed a test copy of SMF 2.1 RC2 on my server.  I've been impressed with 2.1, and it has a number of rather critical features (particularly, the mobile browsing is a huge upgrade), so I'm hoping to go ahead and switch over to it in short order.

The one question I do have--and one that might seem rather trivial at first glance--pertains to the "like" abilities that are built in with 2.1.  I've been using the existing "Like Posts" mod with my 2.0.x forum for some time now--it's proven popular, though there's been a lot of user requests to have a fuller feature set for showing such recognition for some time now, in large part because of the fact that my site's (actually pretty friendly) "competitor" has a super heavy-duty like/recognition system, with leaderboards and the like (they're running Invision PowerBoard over there).  In discussions with the rest of the staff, we have determined that we've been losing user engagement to that other site for some time now because of it.

The "like" system on 2.1 RC2 is a big step in the right direction, though it appears it's set up differently than how the 2.0.x mod operates.  The prospect of losing the old "likes" from the 2.0.x mod upon upgrade is, as strange as it sounds, likely a dealbreaker for some key parts of our userbase, but the notion of installing the old mod on 2.1 and having two "like" systems seems rather silly.  To that end, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions as to how I might potentially migrate the old likes from the mod to the new 2.1 system.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

-Tarkus

Illori

you should ask the mod author if they can help convert the likes. they would know best how the mod works so best how to convert them over if they would support doing such.

also given that 2.1 is still in RC we dont recommend using it live due to bugs it may contain.

Advertisement: