News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Migrating SMF forum to Cpanel

Started by SeaChaser, January 22, 2020, 01:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaChaser

I have www.arimaowners.com on a shared linux hosting plan with GoDaddy. I've had trouble with their automated backup service and they are recommending that I migrate the forum to a cpanel web hosting plan. Is there anything I should be concerned about doing this migration. They say that the shared linux plan only supports up to PHP 5.6 and the cpanel covers up to 7.3 and they expect the backup service issues to go away.

They will migrate my website for $100 but I figured I'd rather get hire the SMF team to do the migration because I'd get a year's worth of support with it. Any other reasons why I shouldn't have GoDaddy migrate my site?

I am on SM 2.0.15 and need to upgrade. Am I better upgrading at the old site before the migration or just installing a new/clean 2.0.17 on the new site? Obviously, I'd have to reinstall all of the mods I use.

I know just enough to be dangerous so please don't get too technical in your responses.

Thanks in advance.

Illori

honestly I would recommend you find a new non oversold host and let them migrate you over for free.

godaddy is known to cause issues.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=117303.0

Sir Osis of Liver

GoDaddy :P.  They often screw up forums, then try to push you into paying for a more expensive package.  For less than $100 you can get a year at a decent host that won't jerk you around.  I've moved several GD accounts to Crocweb, they'll do the migration for you, no charge, and their base package includes 30 day auto backup (Backula). Been using them for 4-5 years, they're inexpensive, very good service, support is excellent.  Don't waste any more time or money with GoDaddy.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

SeaChaser

Well, I didn't expect to get bashed for using GoDaddy. It would have been more palatable had any one of my questions been answered and then have the preferences for other hosts made as a recommendation.

For the record, I am happy with GoDaddy. They have been consistent with their commitments and are easy to use. They also have great support from people that speak English as their primary language. Lastly, the new plan they offered me on the cpanel is actually cheaper than my current plan was and they are willing to credit me the unused portion of my last three year rate and apply it towards the new plan and my annual plan is only slightly over $100/yr.

I look forward to getting some help on my original questions.

Thanks!

Illori

if you could move your files you could migrate them for free. honestly even if you are happy with godaddy it is a bad sign when they want to charge you to move servers. most hosts will not charge you if they need you to change servers.

Kindred

well, GD pretty much sucks over all. Glad you've had good luck.,.. but that is 100% luck, not skill.
The fact that they have servers with a maximum php version 5.6 pretty much says it all.

Anyway, to answer your questions:
1- Migrate the site at 2.0.15
    This holds true, even moving servers witjhin the same host https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Hosting_-_How_do_I_move_my_SMF_forum_to_a_different_host
    Leave the new site at php 5.6 or php 7.0 until you finish step 3

2- confirm the migration is successful and that the system runs correctly and as expected on 2.0.15

3- update to 2.0.17 using patches, on the new site.

4- update the php to 7.2

no need to reinstall mods.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Was not bashing you, my experience supporting GoDaddy forums has varied from just ok to awful.  I have several people still on GD, they're not having problems so we don't move them, but I've dealt with many more situations where GoDaddy's poor service has crashed forums, lost databases, provided half-assed support, and tried to charge additional fees to correct problems they caused.  If you weren't having problems with them you wouldn't be changing your hosting setup, and things will likely get worse down the road.  We're not being critical, we're giving you good advice.

- R. Waters

VJJohn

I agree. No bashing intended.

GoDaddy is just not a good place to host forums, & really not a good web hosting service for the price. They have the advantage of being around a long time so won't probably suddenly disappear someday, & lose your site. But they have lost sites, or bits of it anyway. If you can get out of it, I would.

Download & save your SMF database on your computer (it's at myphp in cpanel -- click on export). After that, use FTP & then download all your site files & folders to another folder on the computer. Without FTP, you'll have to download all your files & folders from file manager/public one by one. So get & learn FTP. Google it. Google is our friend for research, & study. The same process can be put in many different words, so by reading many of them, you will figure it out. Filezilla is fair free FTP software if your computer doesn't already have something, or is too hard to use.

Then install a new copy of SMF on a better service. Then delete the files in the new SMF database, & import your saved SMF database. After, Install repair_settings.php from here at SMF into the forum's folder at file manager in cpanel. Click on the forum's new URL, & replace index.php at the end of the web address with repair_settings.php & run it. Make sure you have the new server & database name & password correct -- you set it up when you moved to the new server, You should have wrote it down.

After it's up & running add your mods & custom themes. If it fails, your mods & themes are breaking 2.0.16 & 2.0.17. Delete the whole thing. Do over without any mods or themes, or install 2.0.15 to continue using your mods & themes until the mods or themes have been updated to the new versions someday (or never).

landyvlad

The advice you are getting to move away from godaddy is very good.

There are two types of godaddy customers.
Those who have had a bad experience, and those who will.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Kindred

lol...   I just transferred someone with 4 domains out of GoDaddy after GoDaddy "lost" their site -- and was only able to restore a 6 month old backup.

Yes, we had an issue on the new host  that I couldn't figure out... but it was corrected in 10 minutes, after a single email ticket and the host responded with exact details on what they had to do to fix the issue (and issue which, incidentally, was directly caused by GoDaddy techs forcibly defining variables as constants in the config files...)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SeaChaser

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 22, 2020, 09:40:48 PM
GoDaddy :P.  They often screw up forums, then try to push you into paying for a more expensive package.  For less than $100 you can get a year at a decent host that won't jerk you around.  I've moved several GD accounts to Crocweb, they'll do the migration for you, no charge, and their base package includes 30 day auto backup (Backula). Been using them for 4-5 years, they're inexpensive, very good service, support is excellent.  Don't waste any more time or money with GoDaddy.

Well, I'm working on my migration to CroqWeb and in needing help I have learned that the only help available is through their online PM system. It's slow and they don't provide complete answers so I'm not sure if I'm doing the right things. Is there a hosting service that provides phone interaction?

Sir Osis of Liver

I've never used phone support on any of the hosts I've worked on.  Support tickets provide a record of the issue for reference, I find that a necessity, especially as I work on a lot of forums.  Crocweb support is very prompt in responding to tickets 24/7, and their support is excellent.  If you need additional assistance, PM me.  I've moved around 8-10 accounts to Croc off other hosts, several from GD, I can work with them if you're having problems with migration.

- R. Waters

vbgamer45

As  Sir Osis of Liver said phone support is uncommon. Phone interaction is generally more expensive some small hosts may do it. Or larger ones on managed services maybe an extra fee though.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: