News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Avatars uploads by members are not working

Started by DarkAngel612, January 22, 2020, 10:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel612

Modification Packages — Installed

1.     Global Headers Footers     2.1a
2.     Separate the sticky topics     1.0.1
3.     Stupid bouncy BBC     1.0
4.     BK Modding Disable Decrease Post Count Option     3.0
5.     Advanced Contact Form     1.1
6.     Sorted Package Manager Listing     1.2
7.     Stop Spammer     2.3.9
8.     Float BBCODE     1.0.2
9.     Most Popular Topic Today     2.3
10.     TinyPortal     1.2
11.     httpBL     2.5.1
12.     Simple Audio Video Embedder     5.0.3
13.     Join Reason     1.5
14.     Change All Subjects     1.3
15.     PM Attachments     2.12
16.     SMF Staff Page     1.8
17.     Enhanced Dropdown     1.3

The members get this error and when I just now tried it I got a totally blank page with no error log on the server:

This page isn't working 
  www.fantasyattic.net is currently unable to handle this request.
  HTTP ERROR 500
Could someone direct me as to what is missing or not set right. I checked admin and all registered members can use either the supplied avas, select an external url, or  upload to the server.
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

Dzonny

The error you get is quite general, and not so specific. I'd try with checking permissions for avatars/attachments directory.

DarkAngel612

Quote from: Dzonny on January 23, 2020, 02:30:05 AM
The error you get is quite general, and not so specific. I'd try with checking permissions for avatars/attachments directory.

Sorry about that, prior to the upgrade to this version and re-installing the mods listed, all things behaved right. The first thing I did was go to admin and check the avatar settings. The blank page I got is for sure not the error page the members are getting. The only other thing that is not behaving (since prior version too) is the pm attachments that will now at least send small zips but with settings set to allow any size zip is just not working...that is still a work in progress.

I did not know if I should just start from scratch and re-upload the fresh 20.17 files and reinstall the mods again, especially since I don't need to reupload the file in coppermine gallery to allow us all in again...LOL
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

Kindred

Quote from: Dzonny on January 23, 2020, 02:30:05 AM
. I'd try with checking permissions for avatars/attachments directory.

Check your hosting account error log. Your host should be able to tell you why its generating a 500 error
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

James Gryphon

I host another SMF forum that reported the same kinds of problems. Unfortunately my server error log wasn't much help in diagnosing anything, nor the SMF error log. We disabled the PM attachments mod (which the OP also had), but although that did have an effect (some people were getting 500 errors instead of a plain white screen; disabling it got rid of the 500 errors in favor of only the white screen), it didn't solve the problem. So, we tried downgrading to 2.0.15 to see what would happen. I wish I could say that it didn't help and we just saw another white screen, but instead, avatar uploads started working again. It isn't accurate to say that SMF 2.0.16/7 breaks avatar uploads (since there's other forums where they work), but there does seem to be something that's different from pre-patch that can break them in currently unknown cases.

DarkAngel612

Quote from: James Gryphon on January 23, 2020, 10:57:39 PM
I host another SMF forum that reported the same kinds of problems. Unfortunately my server error log wasn't much help in diagnosing anything, nor the SMF error log. We disabled the PM attachments mod (which the OP also had), but although that did have an effect (some people were getting 500 errors instead of a plain white screen; disabling it got rid of the 500 errors in favor of only the white screen), it didn't solve the problem. So, we tried downgrading to 2.0.15 to see what would happen. I wish I could say that it didn't help and we just saw another white screen, but instead, avatar uploads started working again. It isn't accurate to say that SMF 2.0.16/7 breaks avatar uploads (since there's other forums where they work), but there does seem to be something that's different from pre-patch that can break them in currently unknown cases.

LOL my hosting account files showed a million and 1 (yes a wee bit exaggerated only half mil was found) of errors . After checking the ip"s I found they were all for a hacker trying to get in. and nothing about anything else.

I have a forum that was still 20.15 so from admin I did the upgrad to 20.16 then 20.17 upgrades (not by downloading the zip and reinstalling fresh file). I just now tested it and the only thing not installed in packages is the pm attachments mod.

So now I am going to uninstall the pm mod and see the attic will behave too.

DarkAngel612

I uninstalled PM attachment mod just now but although the uploaded avatars can be chosen the ability to upload one from your comp or a server link still gives a blank page.

The other forum allows the avatar to be uploaded from computer with no troubles but that forum also has been updated from php 5.6 (which according to c-panel it to 7.0 has deprecated and we need to upgrade it), I checked whm and it states that yes I did put it to 7.0. Now that said, I thought of putting the entire server to php version 7.01but when I made this one 7.1 it broke the forum.

Also the attic running 20.17 still s running alsobut coppermine will not work giving this error:
Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in attic/cpg/include/functions.inc.php:183 Stack trace: #0 //attic/cpg/include/init.inc.php(171): cpg_db_connect() #1 attic/cpg/index.php(26): require('/home/servername/...') #2 {main} thrown in /attic/cpg/include/functions.inc.php on line 183

James Gryphon

Did some testing, with odd results, with the forum that's having the trouble.

With alt-php56, attempting to upload an image in this SMF 2.0.17 setup tosses a white page (with the url like so: "forum/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile;u=123;save), and it doesn't seem possible to compel it to display or report any errors. Using the "Specify URL" method will too, unless it is set to download images from the URL, in which case it will reload the page, claiming that it succeeded, but without any new avatar.

With alt-php70, alt-php71, or alt-php72, attempting to use the specify method will toss this kind of error:
Error: Call to undefined function dl() in /home/soopergr/fhc.soopergrape.com/testgrounds/Sources/Subs-Package.php:3035
Stack trace:
#0 /home/soopergr/fhc.soopergrape.com/testgrounds/Sources/Profile-Modify.php(2640): check_mime_type('https://cdn.dis...', 'image/', true)
#1 /home/soopergr/fhc.soopergrape.com/testgrounds/Sources/Profile-Modify.php(895): profileSaveAvatarData('external')
#2 /home/soopergr/fhc.soopergrape.com/testgrounds/Sources/Profile.php(683): saveProfileFields()
#3 /home/soopergr/fhc.soopergrape.com/testgrounds/index.php(184): ModifyProfile()
#4 {main}[/url]

Uploading also has an analogous, similar error:
Error: Call to undefined function dl() in /home/soopergr/fhc.soopergrape.com/testgrounds/Sources/Subs-Package.php:3035
Stack trace:
#0 /home/soopergr/fhc.soopergrape.com/testgrounds/Sources/Profile-Modify.php(2693): check_mime_type('/home/soopergr/...', 'image/', true)
#1 /home/soopergr/fhc.soopergrape.com/testgrounds/Sources/Profile-Modify.php(895): profileSaveAvatarData('upload')
#2 /home/soopergr/fhc.soopergrape.com/testgrounds/Sources/Profile.php(683): saveProfileFields()
#3 /home/soopergr/fhc.soopergrape.com/testgrounds/index.php(184): ModifyProfile()
#4 {main}

Bizarrely, if I hit the back button and change avatar mode to the gallery, I will actually see the avatar.

However, that doesn't mean that the profile switched over; upon reloading the page, it is blank, as before.

It seems the avatar is actually getting uploaded, as it shows up in the attachments directory, whether with the php-7 error messages or alt-php56's white screen.

Now, there is one version of PHP 7 where everything seems to work just fine... alt-php73. ::) Of course, 7.3 isn't officially supported and tosses a dozen deprecation errors whenever you load any page on SMF, so it has plenty of its own problems.

Shambles

Ensure your php.ini file has

extension=fileinfo

or

extension=php72-fileinfo

or, for Windows NT

extension=php_fileinfo.dll

DarkAngel612

This is what CPG suggested for me with the problem too:

You should upgrade to CPG 1.6.x
https://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,79013.msg383037.html#msg383037

There is info there on how to upgrade 1.5x and 1.6x galleries

I forgot to add, make sure to check the plugins to make sure yours still work with 1.6x updates.

Advertisement: