News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF 2.0.9 on php 7.3 - help to update / patch

Started by paulosborne, February 04, 2020, 01:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulosborne

Hi - I am a non-techie running a community forum on SMF 2.0.9.  SMF app was provided by my host, LCN.  Today my web host updated my Wordpress site to SSL and in process updated php to 7.3.  I assume that this broke my SMF but as the host no longer supports 'their" formerly recommended app SMF I am stuck trying to repair the situation.

I have downgraded php back to 5.6 (lowest I have access to) and the SMF 2.0.9 now at least shows the content, but only in text mode. My SMF has not been upgraded nor patched as I have not seen any Admin notifications that SMF required an upgrade.  I deduce that I need to patch(?) or upgrade to 2.0.17.   I might need some help!   I have taken a copy of my SMF Folder in FTP client. Now I need guidance on how best to get it working again.

So 3 questions: 
1   How do I upgrade to 2.0.17 when the SMF Admin area is hardly functional in text mode?
2   Is there benefit in a clean install of SMF and then reliably add back my content?
3   Dare I say it, but I am better advised to migrate the content to BBPress or equivalent that I, and my host can support?

Thanks in anticipation.

vbgamer45

1. Grab the repair settings tool you may have to adjust the web url paths
What is repair_settings.php?

2. You could grab a large upgrade for SMF 2.0.17 and upload that. You would loose any mods you have installed.

I would say fix first with repair settings. Then upgrade via package manager to latest verison.l

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

paulosborne

Hi VB Gamer

Thanks for the advice.  I have tried the repair tool and whilst my installation looked to as the defaults I now don't have access to the forum at all.

"Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."

I could put back the backup SMF folder via FTP and try again.
I am guessing a clean install is the more complete way!

Where do I find 2.0.17?
How do I install it?
How do I extract my content to install into the upgraded forum?

vbgamer45

The database connection issue is from the configuration settings for db being changed in the Settings.php file.

You would grab the large upgrade package from https://download.simplemachines.org/
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

paulosborne

Thanks VB Gamer.

So are you saying I have little alternative than a major upgrade?
Naturally I want to preserve the forum content.  Is this a reliable process?

Having just put the backup folder back in position after doing the repair tool I can not see the forum anymore... so I am little wary of distructive processes that re-installing the backup folder does not cure!

I presume I will use the Upgrade 2.0.17 install rather than Full install?
I am looking at this: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

Do I simply upload via FTP to the web folder?
How do I extract the upgrade file in FTP (I use Cyberduck)
The guide is slightly ambiguous about the process - whether I copy and overwrite the previous folders and files and clearly some folders contain content so it must be vital to not copy across those. 
I presume there is a database file - is that contained in my old, backed up Simple_Machine_Forum folder so does not need backing up separately?
How will I move my content into the new installation?

Note: I do not think any "Mods" nor Patches were installed previously - the forum was plain vanilla with no after install tweaks. 

Update - having put back my Backup folder I now have the Forum in text form back again... so I could possibly do whatever is required to upgrade from the Forum Admin (text based) interface.

vbgamer45

In the package manager there should be a link to download the latest packages.
If not you can download and install each patch one at a time from
https://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/

But It still sounds like you have a css/style path issue. Withe repair settings as long as you don't change the database information you should be able to update the urls.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

paulosborne

Thanks for your patience VB - I rarely work with SMF.

OK so I am going to sequentially upgrade from 2.0.09 to 2.0.10 etc. upto 2.0.17
I have downloaded to my laptop the zip and unzipped the files.
In Package manager (text only) I then upload the zip - and install.
That says it was a success.- but the version appears still to be 2.0.09  ?

Correction: It now shows 2.0.10!

Update: 
I get to 2.0.13 installed and the forum (text based) now won't display at all.
I have  no options using the Admin area.
Help!

vbgamer45

You should be able to bump up the php version to 7.1 if you are on SMF 2.0.13 now though.

Repair setting still needs to be run. If you have no mods you can upload the large upgrade package that will overwrite all files.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

paulosborne

Hi - I am putting php uto 7.1
SMF is 2.0.13
I have no mods that I know of.
The error is :
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database.
I have run repair again - no change... and it is not seeing a lot of paths??

Can I recover from this by re-installing a database from backup?  Although the backup may well be from after the initial issues with php7 and SMF 2.0.09

You suggest upgrading in one step to 2.0.17.  Can you help me on how I preserve my content?  Bear in mind the 2.0.17 upgrade will be via ftp.
I have the upgrade sitting in the folder alongside the current SMF 2.0.13 folder.

vbgamer45

Do a backup of your site files first.
Then you can upload the large upgrade.
That should make all files in sync at that point.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

paulosborne

Quote from: vbgamer45 on February 04, 2020, 02:55:33 PM
Do a backup of your site files first.
Then you can upload the large upgrade.
That should make all files in sync at that point.
Hi again - thanks for your patience.

Can I just clarify the process? I have the upgrade folder to 2.0.17 in my FTP window - what do I do to initiate the upgrade? How do I protect my content from being overwritten? (I have the original SMF folder backed up but I assume a database will be corrupted within it)

vbgamer45

Database will not be affected when replacing the files.
You can backup your database if you have cpanel using phpmyadmin

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

paulosborne

Quote from: vbgamer45 on February 04, 2020, 04:55:51 PM
Database will not be affected when replacing the files.
You can backup your database if you have cpanel using phpmyadmin
Hi
So how do I recover a database as that seems to be the thing that is causing issues?
Secondly I am not using cPanel - I don't have access to SMF as it is a Host app.
I have access only via FTP.

My question is how do I uprgade from FTP using the Upgrade 2.0.17? And will it overwrite my content?  If so what folders do I exclude from upgrading?

vbgamer45

Database is stored in files in your ftp.
You can access with tools like adminer or phpmyadmin

The large upgrade file does not override content. It does replace any mods you have installed on the site though. Attachments/posts/avatars are all kept.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

paulosborne

Quote from: vbgamer45 on February 04, 2020, 05:02:03 PM
Database is stored in files in your ftp.
You can access with tools like adminer or phpmyadmin

The large upgrade file does not override content. It does replace any mods you have installed on the site though. Attachments/posts/avatars are all kept.
Thanks VB
Database:   You say in "Files". What do you mean? Is that inside the SMF folder? (I have a whole Wordpress website backup I can look in.)
Those tools - what do I do with them?

Upgrade:  do I just copy the upgrade files from one folder into the original Simple_machines_forum folder?  As I said, I have no mods...SMF is indentical to as installed 3 years ago.

vbgamer45

I missed typed sorry. Database is not part of the files. It is not found in FTP and can't be accessed via it.

Yes you just copy the large upgrade files to your Simple machines forum.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Tonyvic

Can I point out that the OP asked
QuoteSo how do I recover a database as that seems to be the thing that is causing issues?
I have no idea without Cpanel, maybe some else can help him.

paulosborne

Quote from: vbgamer45 on February 04, 2020, 05:57:20 PM
I missed typed sorry. Database is not part of the files. It is not found in FTP and can't be accessed via it.

Yes you just copy the large upgrade files to your Simple machines forum.

Ah - so I can't access Database.

I tried copying the files/folders and Cyberduck stated 550 prohibited from overwriting Attachments folder "Directory not empty". (which makes sense as that is my content that doesn't need overwriting)   Is there a way to selct which files need to be copied?

paulosborne

Quote from: Tonyvic on February 04, 2020, 06:03:23 PM
Can I point out that the OP asked
QuoteSo how do I recover a database as that seems to be the thing that is causing issues?
I have no idea without Cpanel, maybe some else can help him.

This process just seems a bed of faff. I started asking my host to update my Wordpress site to SSL and now I am deep in rebuilding a forum I rarely administer... and it gives me flashbacks to the very dark days of running a site on Joomla (I thought I banished such things when I moved to Wordpress years ago!)

Unfortunately I need this forum content. Is there a way to export the content from my folder to migrate to BBPress or something simple and reliable, and future'ish proof?

Tonyvic

Quote from: paulosborne on February 04, 2020, 06:11:19 PM
Ah - so I can't access Database.
The Database is the most important part, did you verify that the Database credentials were correct with repair_settings.php and then select 'Save' at the bottom of the page?
IMHO a decent host should help you with this problem as they seem to be the main cause of it.

(Paul, I sent you a PM)

Advertisement: