News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Start coding mods

Started by coder noob, February 10, 2020, 01:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coder noob

Well, I've some knowledge about PHP and Javascript, but never contribute to a real project. I would like begin to help the community and improve my programmer skills. What tips and ways the experience coders says to me start to coding with the platform?

Illori

start looking at popular mods on the mod site, read the code and learn how it works. then make changes to it and go from there.

vbgamer45

That's what I did and is great advice. Start on small mods then grow as you get bigger..
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

coder noob

I 've implemented a mod using ajax about update posting display on topics. The mod consists in refresh the page when there are a new post in this topic. It's a simple mod, I create the querys in the one new archive .php, but I modify the archive Display.template.php for include some javascript code and call the new archive php.

My problem is about integrating my code to the project. I have no experience with real projects, only knowledge for programming.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

coder noob

The mod behaviour is completed, working like the attachment file.

vbgamer45

Nice! Great addition for SMF 2.1 . The animated gif is neat too!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: