News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

token-based unsubscribe links

Started by kfoster17, February 13, 2020, 04:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfoster17

I'd recently updated to 2.0.17.

On the Admin->Features and Options->General I checked:

Use token-based unsubscribe links in notification emails
Allows users to unsubscribe without logging in.

I couldn't find any documentation on this feature but assumed that an unsubscribe link would be sent when users get notifications of PMs/Posts/ etc. However no unsubscribe link is sent as part of the email notifications.

I did not enable 'GDPR' and am not clear if that needs to be enabled in order for token-based unsubscribe to work.

FYI: I'd wanted to include unsubscribe due to the fact that lots of emails are being blocked or classified as spam - especially by yahoo. I would suspect the latest update was the problem however I'm having the same type of problem with other systems. It appears the big guys (gmail, yahoo, AWS, etc) are really locking things down. By including an unsubscribe link supposedly that reduces the chances that an email will be flagged as spam. I've heard from others not running a forum that they are having problems  delivering email now too. I wonder if it's because we're not PC?

live627

My understanding is that users can use the links to unsub even if they are logged out whereas before they had to log in and rummage through their profile.

kfoster17

Just saw this in the 2.0.16 change log. The unsubscribe links are sent embedded in newsletters:

+ Adds token-based unsubscribe links to newsletters.
&& Simplifies language strings and templates for unsubscribe links.

I'd hoped that the unsubscribe links were embedded in post/PM email notifications. Maybe need to look at creating my own theme to add that. It's getting harder and harder to get emails delivered these days and after doing lots of reading recently it mentioned unsubscribe links help get you past spam filters. Not telling if that would really help though.Been running our own email server for years without a problem but now it's become a royal pain the last 2 months.

Kindred

the thing is ---   the user directly chose and subscribed to receive notifications from posts/PMs...
Newsletters are on by default, and so are not active subscription choices.

Also, there is no way to unsubscribe from specific posts...   it's either - get notified of ALL triggering posts or get notified of none.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

m4z

Quote from: Kindred on February 14, 2020, 12:46:45 PM
the thing is ---   the user directly chose and subscribed to receive notifications from posts/PMs...

And the user should be able to withdraw that consent at any time, without having to log in, in my opinion.

Quote from: Kindred on February 14, 2020, 12:46:45 PM
Also, there is no way to unsubscribe from specific posts...   it's either - get notified of ALL triggering posts or get notified of none.

It would be possible to include unsubscribe links for individual threads or boards though.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: