News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to isolate members to a particular board

Started by cpf, February 17, 2020, 11:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpf

Howdy,

We recently took in a stray forum.  We created a new board for them, but we'd like to isolate certain members of a member group to just that forum.  I've been all around the manual on permissions and member groups but can't seem to figure it out exactly.

We'd like it so when they log in, the only have access to this specific new board.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Don't email me, PM me, IM me, contact me, look at me, breath on me, or even attempt to think about thinking of contacting me.  If you do, I will send you to the correct forum to post, where I will promptly tell you that you posted in the wrong forum.

Illori

don't assign access to boards in the post count groups.

assign those users to a group that only can view that one board.

cpf

Quote from: Illori on February 17, 2020, 11:17:05 AM
don't assign access to boards in the post count groups.

assign those users to a group that only can view that one board.

That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do... this isn't post-count related...
Don't email me, PM me, IM me, contact me, look at me, breath on me, or even attempt to think about thinking of contacting me.  If you do, I will send you to the correct forum to post, where I will promptly tell you that you posted in the wrong forum.

Illori

all users are in at least 2 groups, that includes the post count groups. the only way they can view other boards if the primary group does not give the access is if the other groups they are in does give access, most of the time it is the post count groups.

given we cannot see how your groups are setup, we will always assume how you have them setup.

you could provide screenshots and we can assist further.

cpf

Quote from: Illori on February 17, 2020, 11:25:17 AM
all users are in at least 2 groups, that includes the post count groups. the only way they can view other boards if the primary group does not give the access is if the other groups they are in does give access, most of the time it is the post count groups.

given we cannot see how your groups are setup, we will always assume how you have them setup.

you could provide screenshots and we can assist further.

I would most appreciate that!  What screen/option would that be?

Illori

easiest way is:
1. what is the name of the board?

2. screenshot of the profile you want to limit access -> show permissions section, middle of the page has a spot to select the board. then we can see what groups are granting access to that board.

cpf

cpf

Quote from: Illori on February 17, 2020, 11:37:26 AM
easiest way is:

2. screenshot of the profile you want to limit access -> show permissions section, middle of the page has a spot to select the board. then we can see what groups are granting access to that board.

Ok, let me get that............

cpf

Quote from: Illori on February 17, 2020, 11:37:26 AM
easiest way is:

1. "LNF Lives On"

2:

Are these the right screenshots?

Illori

no, go in the users profile and follow the directions to find the place to screenshot.

cpf

Quote from: Illori on February 17, 2020, 11:52:55 AM
no, go in the users profile and follow the directions to find the place to screenshot.

Ok...  I went to the User -> Show Permissions, and took a screenshot of the middle section:

Illori

change that drop down at the top of that screenshot to the board with the issue.

cpf

Quote from: Illori on February 17, 2020, 12:16:01 PM
change that drop down at the top of that screenshot to the board with the issue.

It's not in there (the board we want to isolate them to)...

Illori

so you are looking at a user that should have access to that board and the board is not listed there? have you confirmed that the user you are looking at can actually view that board?

cpf

Quote from: Illori on February 17, 2020, 12:25:00 PM
so you are looking at a user that should have access to that board and the board is not listed there? have you confirmed that the user you are looking at can actually view that board?

Yes.  It's a user (that has the LNF member group) has access to all boards, including the one to which I want them isolated.

cpf

OK, I didn't have the default member group set for this user.  But I still don't see the particular board in that dropdown list...

Illori

if you install https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2703 and switch to this user profile, you can view the board? this is very strange.

cpf

Quote from: Illori on February 17, 2020, 12:32:26 PM
if you install https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2703 and switch to this user profile, you can view the board? this is very strange.

Somehow a source file isn't right for 2.016, so I can't update the forum or install some mods.. I'll have to install that after I fix that issue...

It's odd, because it says the user doesn't have access to those boards, but he does (I just tested with him).

cpf

OK, I think I'm getting it...

Each board has a profile, and each group has various permissions under that profile, correct?

Illori

they can have a profile but they don't require one.

cpf

Quote from: Illori on February 17, 2020, 01:05:10 PM
they can have a profile but they don't require one.

The user can now see the board I want, and can't see the others... except for the main one... they can't see the child boards under the main one... trying to figure out how to hide that main one too...

cpf

I think I figured it out...  The post-based groups were over-riding the member groups.  I removed the board visibility settings from the post-based groups, forcing them to fall back onto the regular member settings.

I'll report back after a few tests.

Illori

that is what I told you to do already in this topic, that should resolve the issue.

cpf

Quote from: Illori on February 17, 2020, 01:57:18 PM
that is what I told you to do already in this topic, that should resolve the issue.

I'm a slow learner.

Fixed.  Thanks for your help Illori!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement: