News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

A few questions...

Started by PSPXavier, November 18, 2005, 08:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSPXavier

Can I get this forum on a site hosted by www.freewebs.com ? Also is it possible to downgrade? What about have features from newer version "modded" into a 1.0.2? Because I really like 1.0.2, but want a few extra features from the newer versions? Thankyou for your help!

Sverre

SMF requires MySQL and PHP, which Freeweb doesn't offer, so you can't use it to host your forum. It's not possible to downgrade from 1.1 to a 1.0.x release because of changes made to the database. It might be possible to downgrade from one 1.0.x to an earlier 1.0.x version if you overwrite the files, but I don't know why you would ever want to do that :-\ Sorry for asking, but what is it you like so much about 1.0.2... the bugs and security holes corrected in later releases???

PSPXavier

Well-- I just don't like the newer version as much because it's more complicated, and I'm used to 1.0.2, but I guess I will try to get used to it. So if Freewebs won't work with this, then can I just find a free forum hosting site that supports SMF? If so do you know any good ones?

morph

A good place to check for free hosts is the Hosts And Hosting board. Look for topics that begin with [FREE]. It is also reccomended that you run the latest version of SMF.

Coming soon!

xenovanis

You should run at least 1.0.5, there were some security issues in previous versions.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

PSPXavier

Quote from: xenovanis on November 19, 2005, 10:00:08 AM
You should run at least 1.0.5, there were some security issues in previous versions.
Okay, but what kind of security issues were there?

redone

I really don't think you will find them discussed for obvious reasons!  ;)

Certainly upgrading to at least 1.05 or ideally 1.1rc is a good idea.

~redone

Oldiesmann

If you're familiar with 1.0.2, you shouldn't have any problems with 1.0.5. It might take you a little while to get used to 1.1RC1, but it's got a lot more features.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: