Can't Reach Forum

Started by jgret, March 09, 2020, 03:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgret

Hello! I'm unable to reach my forum--I get HTTP ERROR 500.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what version of Simple Machines it uses, other than I know it's very old. (Forum was started about 13 years ago.)  I had an admin who made modifications to the SM software for me, and coded my website, but staunchly refused to install the recommended updates over the years for fear the modifications would be lost. She passed away last year, now the forum is unreachable, and I'm stuck.

Can anyone help? Thank you!

http://www.thegoldpost.net/forum/

Kindred

a 500 error is a server side issue.

You would need to check with your host.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jgret

The rest of the website is accessible, though. Only the forum can't be reached. Would that still be a hosting problem?

Illori

it could be, we cant really tell you until we know what it says in the server error log.

Kindred

actually, given that you are running  some version of 1.1.x the problem is likely that your host forced an update of your server's php version. SMF 1.1.x will not run on php 7.0 and above.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jgret

Yikes, what do I do then? (I'm not familiar with any of this.)

jgret

Quote from: Illori on March 09, 2020, 04:55:46 PM
it could be, we cant really tell you until we know what it says in the server error log.

Where would I find this?

Illori

in the folder where your forum is there should be an error_log or similar file, open it and reply back with the last few lines.

you will need to upgrade to 2.0.17

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

jgret

Quote from: Illori on March 09, 2020, 05:19:39 PM
in the folder where your forum is

I'm stuck at this part. What folder? (Apologies, but I had someone doing these things for me, so I'm clueless.)

Illori

what is the URL to your forum?
do your host use cpanel for the hosting control panel?

jgret

Illori

yes you will look in your cpanel, look for the file manager, look for public_html folder, double click the icon on the left , look for forum folder from there, double click on the forum folder icon, then look for the error_log file, click on it one time, toward the top of the page click on edit, on the popup click on edit, scroll down to the bottom and paste back here the last few lines of the file.

jgret

Stack trace:
#0 {main}
  thrown in /home/dqlgfgdt/public_html/forum/index.php on line 41
[09-Mar-2020 21:36:25 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_magic_quotes_runtime() in /home/dqlgfgdt/public_html/forum/index.php:41
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
[09-Mar-2020 21:36:57 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_magic_quotes_runtime() in /home/dqlgfgdt/public_html/forum/index.php:41
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
[09-Mar-2020 21:41:02 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_magic_quotes_runtime() in /home/dqlgfgdt/public_html/forum/index.php:41
Stack trace:
#0 {main}

Sir Osis of Liver

If you can pm cpanel access (url/user/pw) I'll have a look.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: jgret on March 09, 2020, 05:51:11 PM
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
[09-Mar-2020 21:36:25 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_magic_quotes_runtime() in /home/dqlgfgdt/public_html/forum/index.php:41
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
[09-Mar-2020 21:36:57 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_magic_quotes_runtime() in /home/dqlgfgdt/public_html/forum/index.php:41
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
[09-Mar-2020 21:41:02 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_magic_quotes_runtime() in /home/dqlgfgdt/public_html/forum/index.php:41
Stack trace:
#0 {main}

Just quickly googled "set_magic_quotes_runtime", it was removed from PHP in version 7.0 so the server the OP's site is on is running 7.0 or newer.

Kindred

which is what I figured.

The resolution is to update to 2.0.17
Слaва
Украинi

jgret

I really appreciate everyone's help, thanks so much!  I will check out the upgrade link that was posted earlier. I'm sure I'll be back here crying for more help though  ;D ;D ;D

jgret

Well this didn't take long... ha ha

There's no way for me to make a backup first, right?

Illori

not from within your forum. you need to do it manually. both for files and the database.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: