News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

1.1.21 doesn't want to be installed

Started by BabbieBabbie, March 24, 2020, 02:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabbieBabbie

I'm trying to install SMF 1.1.21 on my website. It apparently doesn't want to be installed. I can tell because I got an HTTP 500 ERROR. Is 1.1.x no longer supported?

Looking

BabbieBabbie

Quote from: Looking on March 24, 2020, 02:25:43 PM
No it is not, you need to get SMF 2.

I guess you got me there. But ah, just a reminder, I'm looking for a person who can actually help. Saying "no it is not" kinda sounds like you're saying "No it isn't no longer supported," making it a double negative in the process. I'm sure you know what double negatives are, right?

shawnb61

When you see an HTTP500, that usually means something unexpected happened under the covers, and apache kinda felt the carpet pulled out from underneath it... 

The underlying issue is normally in your apache log.  To understand what's going on, look there.

If you are installing a new forum, 1.1 is not the way to go.  I don't know what the max php (or mysql) version supported by 1.1, but since most hosts have been pushing 7.x, and smf1.1 predates 7.x by years, first guess is that your environment is too 'new' to run 1.1.

I have no problems installing 1.1.21 in a php 5.x environment, the install still works fine.

What version of mysql? 
What version of php? 
What OS? 
Do you have errors in your apache log? 

And - most important - why are you trying to install a new 1.1 instance?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

SpacePhoenix

Is this a migration from another forum platform or a brand new forum? If it's a brand new forum then you should go for version 2.0.17 (2.1 exists but it's not a "proper" release - it's more of a "testing " release).

What versions of PHP do you have available to use?

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

BabbieBabbie

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 25, 2020, 12:40:44 PM
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=534915.0
I can see that, but the truth is... I'm an old-fashioned person, so I shouldn't be forced to care what version I use. The people who force me to use more frequent versions of this software clearly don't understand that I like old-school stuff. But I'm just being gullible and thinking it would actually work. Bottom line, they need to fix this, but because 1.1.x is no longer being updated, I don't know what I'm gonna do. Sure, I might install 2.0.x, but only if I have no other option.

shawnb61

One step at a time...

Did you have a working forum?   That no longer works now?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: BabsProductions on March 26, 2020, 11:46:57 AM
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 25, 2020, 12:40:44 PM
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=534915.0
I can see that, but the truth is... I'm an old-fashioned person, so I shouldn't be forced to care what version I use. The people who force me to use more frequent versions of this software clearly don't understand that I like old-school stuff. But I'm just being gullible and thinking it would actually work. Bottom line, they need to fix this, but because 1.1.x is no longer being updated, I don't know what I'm gonna do. Sure, I might install 2.0.x, but only if I have no other option.

If you're on a server that's running PHP 7 then it's simply a case of either upgrade to 2.0.17 (there's info on the best way in another thread - don't have the link to hand) or your forum will be broken.

Sir Osis of Liver

I'm an old-fashioned person, so I shouldn't be forced to care what version I use.

Not really a matter of being old fashioned, or just plain old (Sir Osis just turned 70 :P), when dealing with software you need to keep up with current versions.  Old outdated software will not run correctly, if at all, on most platforms, and are unsupported so you're on your own when things go badly.  SMF 1.1 was released fourteen years ago, that's ancient in the software world.  2.0 is the current branch, it's well supported, and has many functional and securlty features (that's important) that 1.1 lacks.  If you already have a 1.1.21 forum, it's not difficult to upgrade to 2.0.17, there's plenty of help available here.  If you're just setting up a new forum, it makes no sense to attempt installing obsolete software.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

DreadPirateRoberts

dud i ike to keep my site old looking too but you need new software in the long run if you want to have your forum running fast and facing un expected errors
Welcome to Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe || A retro design vaporwave community forum! Enjoy your stay!

Shambles

Quote from: DreadPirateRoberts
dud i ike to

What a strange combination of words... ::)

BabbieBabbie

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 26, 2020, 04:46:29 PM
I'm an old-fashioned person, so I shouldn't be forced to care what version I use.

Not really a matter of being old fashioned, or just plain old (Sir Osis just turned 70 :P), when dealing with software you need to keep up with current versions.  Old outdated software will not run correctly, if at all, on most platforms, and are unsupported so you're on your own when things go badly.  SMF 1.1 was released fourteen years ago, that's ancient in the software world.  2.0 is the current branch, it's well supported, and has many functional and securlty features (that's important) that 1.1 lacks.  If you already have a 1.1.21 forum, it's not difficult to upgrade to 2.0.17, there's plenty of help available here.  If you're just setting up a new forum, it makes no sense to attempt installing obsolete software.

I just installed 2.0.17. You can all set down your arguments now.

shawnb61

So you're back up & running?   If so, good news.

Advertisement: