News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Problems with apostrophes and quotation marks

Started by Kjell H., April 01, 2020, 12:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjell H.

Recently I've  noticed my forum has an issue with member posts where they are using apostrophes and single or double quotation marks. Interesting part is that it one poster has no problems, another has and on the same topic.

Example:

I've turnes into I?ve etc...

Any idea what is causing this?

Forum Version:
SMF 2.0.17

Ad Managment   3.5c
Copyright and Footer Links   3.2
Simple Audio Video Embedder   5.0.5
Menu Editor Pro   1.0.1
Anti-spam by CleanTalk 2.31
Awesome Post Ratings 1.0.2
Google Analytics Code 1.5.1

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kjell H.

Just ran a UTF-8 conversion.... all table are now utf8_general_ci .

Hopefully this will make the problem go away.

MH

Kindred

make sure the forum itself is set to UTF8, in addition to the database tables (including language files are also using rthe UTF8 versions...)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kjell H.

Quote from: Kindred on April 01, 2020, 03:29:51 PM
make sure the forum itself is set to UTF8, in addition to the database tables (including language files are also using rthe UTF8 versions...)

You lost me on that one. Where do I set the forum to UTF8?

shawnb61

In addition to the tables, there are two important settings.

In Settings.php, you should see an entry for:
Quote$db_character_set = 'utf8';

In the settings table, there should be an entry for:
variablevalue
global_character_setUTF-8

If you used the SMF function to convert to UTF8 (found under Admin | Maintenance | Forum Maintenance | Database | Convert the database and data to UTF-8) you are OK, this will fix your settings.

Sometimes folks just change the tables, but without the settings in alignment as well, you will still see problems. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Kjell H.

Thank you. I used the SMF function to convert and I checked settings.php.

All good.

Advertisement: