2.0.16 Update Test Failure

Started by iplan, April 07, 2020, 03:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iplan

So my email feature hasn't been working.  In the process of trying to address that issue, I noted that there have been 2 updates that have not been installed.  I currently have 2.0.15 (w/ email not working).    So my hope was that updating the version would address the email issue.  When I clicked update, I got this message:

Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

Scrolling down, I see this::  It is the only failed test for installation, but I have no idea what to do to address the issue, and I'm not sure if this will fix my email issue either.

38.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Profile-Modify.php    Test failed
                  (item #6 under this heading).    Replace    ./Sources/Profile-Modify.php    Test failed

Things were working fine as far as I know through 2.0.14.

Anyone have any suggestions for fixing my current email problem or how to update to the latest version?

Best,
iPlan

shawnb61

I believe this is the duplicate comment problem!

Take a peek at this post here:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=571002.msg4041259#msg4041259

There is a comment in there that some users have once (especially older forums), but most users have twice.  The update is expecting to see two lines of comments to do the search & replace properly.  If you make the suggested change there & give it what it is looking for, the update can proceed.

Hope this helps,
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

iplan

Read that entire thread...

My impressions:  Vince S is right in arguing that it 2.0.16 should have been fixed to address the bug (or 2.0.17 designed to fix that issue in arrears).  Not doing so clearly creates an obstacle requiring a fix that is beyond the "mom and pop" user that does not do code... etc. 

I, for one, am that Mom & Pop user.

I read the whole post....  TWICE.  I have no idea what to do to address the issue of the double line of code error or whatever. 

Maybe start here:  Where would I even GO to see the code so that I could change it?

Sir Osis of Liver

Package manager lists all the files that are edited by the update.  Where an error is flagged, there's an edit button left side.  Click on it, it displays target code and updated code.  It can't find target code if it's not exactly the same, but you can search the file and usually find it yourself, then make the edit manually.  In this case there's a double comment line where there should only be one, it doesn't do any harm but prevents package manager from identifying the code it needs to edit.  You can either edit the code manually, or if you're not comfortable with that, just remove one of the comments, that should clear the error.  /Sources/Profile-Modify.php is in your forum root, you can get to it with FTP client or cpanel filemanager.  Save a backup copy before you mess with it.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Shambles

Quote from: iplan on April 07, 2020, 06:16:38 PM
I, for one, am that Mom & Pop user.

Thing is, you'll want to bask in the glory of being a "forum administrator" with all that entails, yet you won't put in the effort to learn the full responsibilites that is required to run the forum..

Quote...  I have no idea what to do to address the issue of ....

iplan

Thanks for replying So I went to my cPanel, there was only one line of:

// No size, then it's probably not a valid pic.

So I copied that line, and I posted it underneath the original so it reads: 

I then saved the edited file in the cPanel, and tried to update to 2.0.16.....   Unfortunately, I got the same error message.  I checked the cPanel file again, and it was saved as indicated.

What to do now?

Help me put the "Simple" back into SimpleMachinesForm.

lol

Sir Osis of Liver

If you can pm admin access to forum (url/user/pw) and ftp access to server (url/user/pw) I'll look at it tonight.  There's a second glitch in that code that I just saw recently, don't remember exactly what it was.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

shawnb61

Find/Replace #6 is the comment one, though. 

The other thing to look at is whitespace - whether a tab or spaces were accidentally inserted near the change.  Happens a lot.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

iplan

Quote from: shawnb61 on April 08, 2020, 04:02:23 PM
Find/Replace #6 is the comment one, though. 

The other thing to look at is whitespace - whether a tab or spaces were accidentally inserted near the change.  Happens a lot.

I think this may be the problem. 

Here is what I tried:  I pasted the second line immediately after the first one.  Hit "Enter" between the two lines so that the second one would be on the line underneath the first one.  Then hit the "TAB" button 4 times to get the second line to line up directly underneath the first line.

I'm assuming that was wrong.

shawnb61

Quote from: iplan on April 08, 2020, 05:51:20 PM

No, that was proper.  Our standard is to use tabs.

One common problem is that various editors sometimes then assume you want to start UNDER that in the same location, and often insert a bunch of invisible tabs, you know, trying to be friendly, on the empty line underneath.  But those tabs are characters, and find/replace won't work...  Some editors even change your tabs to spaces, which is a problem also...

If you attach the file here, one of us can take a look at it.

iplan

Quote from: shawnb61 on April 08, 2020, 07:27:58 PM
Quote from: iplan on April 08, 2020, 05:51:20 PM

No, that was proper.  Our standard is to use tabs.

One common problem is that various editors sometimes then assume you want to start UNDER that in the same location, and often insert a bunch of invisible tabs, you know, trying to be friendly, on the empty line underneath.  But those tabs are characters, and find/replace won't work...  Some editors even change your tabs to spaces, which is a problem also...

If you attach the file here, one of us can take a look at it.

Here's the file.  Anything yo can do would be greatly appreciated.

shawnb61

Attached is a pic of what it was looking for vs your edits. 

A couple of notes:
- You sent me the Profile-Modify.php~ file, not Profile-Modify.php - you need to edit Profile-Modify.php
- The empty line before the comments was lost - it needs to be there
- One too many tabs; it should be lined up with the text

I didn't make the edits, because you need to edit the current file, not the previous file.  The ~ version is a backup made before a change made somewhere along the line. 

I suggest making the edits on Profile-Modify.php, paying careful attention to tabs & line spaces. 

If you are still nervous, then attach a copy of Profile-Modify.php for me to edit!  (No ~...)

Hope this helps,

iplan

Quote from: shawnb61 on April 08, 2020, 09:48:17 PM
Attached is a pic of what it was looking for vs your edits. 

A couple of notes:
- You sent me the Profile-Modify.php~ file, not Profile-Modify.php - you need to edit Profile-Modify.php
- The empty line before the comments was lost - it needs to be there
- One too many tabs; it should be lined up with the text

I didn't make the edits, because you need to edit the current file, not the previous file.  The ~ version is a backup made before a change made somewhere along the line. 

I suggest making the edits on Profile-Modify.php, paying careful attention to tabs & line spaces. 

If you are still nervous, then attach a copy of Profile-Modify.php for me to edit!  (No ~...)

Hope this helps,

Are these the droids you are looking for?

shawnb61

Here you go! 

Hope this helps,

iplan

Thanks so much!  I don't think I would have ever figured that out.

Advertisement: