Is there any way to export members in admin?

Started by fre2mansur, April 09, 2020, 12:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fre2mansur

Why smf doesn't have import/export option in admin?

in my admin i have 132 members, when i look in to my database it only shows 22?

m4z

Are all these members fully registered? Where in the database did you look?
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Arantor

Quote from: fre2mansur on April 09, 2020, 12:34:33 PM
Why smf doesn't have import/export option in admin?

Because the only feature anyone has ever cited for it - to send an email newsletter - is achievable from within the admin panel. Come up with a good reason for it to be done and it can be done, but so far no-one has suggested one.

Quote from: fre2mansur on April 09, 2020, 12:34:33 PM
in my admin i have 132 members, when i look in to my database it only shows 22?

Where exactly did you look? Also note that in most database clients, you get a page of results at a time rather than the whole list.

PoML

I frequently export and import to make sure an external memberlist and invoicing software is synchronized...
It is done via sql to join a profile field with the members table. I don't like it much, as updates via sql can go very wrong if it go wrong...

Arantor

That's a legitimate reason (interestingly rare in SMF), however as someone that does this kind of thing on a massive scale (managing synchronisation of hundreds of thousands of users between multiple systems daily), generally having a manual export/import process is usually a good way to guarantee inconsistency.

PoML

Quote from: Arantor on April 23, 2020, 05:50:41 PM
[...] generally having a manual export/import process is usually a good way to guarantee inconsistency.

Agreed, so I am looking for something like this:  https://zapier.com/apps/mysql/integrations/visma-eaccounting
Directly to mysql is probably not the best way - maybe something for a future mod?

Arantor

At some point whatever integration will have to do things directly in MySQL anyway. Just in practice having a manual element will generally make it more likely to go wrong than something automated; assuming the automated route is properly tested and fails bad input.

Advertisement: