News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Icon is stuck

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, April 19, 2020, 11:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

lurkalot

It's gone for me. I'm using the new Edge browser. 

Kindred

it's cleared for me in all browsers...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

The 'new' icon was still there in message index when I just logged on.  Viewed message, now it's cleared.  Can't imagine what could cause that.  Isn't it in the database?

- R. Waters

Arantor

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 20, 2020, 12:33:44 PM
The 'new' icon was still there in message index when I just logged on.  Viewed message, now it's cleared.  Can't imagine what could cause that.  Isn't it in the database?

The answer is "sort of, it's really complicated" given that there are three different places one could infer read status from in the database, and usually none of them agree.

Sir Osis of Liver

So this is a random one-off?  Never seen it before, tried for around 15 minutes to clear it (haven't much to do :P), still lit up in message index next day, then it cleared.

BTW, good to have you back. :)

- R. Waters

Arantor

It's likely a rare-to-one off where certain details about what you viewed got stuck in session. It's happened to me a few times over the last 11 years.

Also I'm genuinely baffled that people are happy to see me, usually they're "oh god, he's back again".

Sir Osis of Liver

Doesn't session end when browser is closed/cleared?

Your disagreements (and frustration) with the project are longstanding, and usually well founded.  I don't think that in any way negates your contributions here.  I've learned a lot from your input over the years, even when it's been less than diplomatic.

- R. Waters

Arantor

No, session doesn't. The exact rules when session ends in SMF are complicated but can be up to a week after.

As someone that has just spent several days replacing out the entire session system in my own SMF, I can say it is officially "complicated".

Advertisement: