News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Converting Attachments?

Started by TechXPlays, April 20, 2020, 09:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechXPlays

I have some backups from old web forums that used SMF over the years, and realized I still have their attachment folders. In those folders are things I'd like to recover, but I've come to realize that its not as easy as just adding the extension to the file.

How would I restore these files without installing the forum software to match again?

shawnb61

This link might help. 

BUT...

You need the attachments table, which will tell you what the original name was:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=554131.msg3927825#msg3927825
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

TechXPlays

Quote from: shawnb61 on April 20, 2020, 09:24:11 PM
This link might help. 

BUT...

You need the attachments table, which will tell you what the original name was:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=554131.msg3927825#msg3927825

Gave that a shot on a few attachments ranging in file types, but I notice that any archive file (zip/RAR) comes up with the same error of "Unrecognized End of File" error in WinRAR, which is the same error I get if I just add the filetype extension to the end of the file without using the commands in that thread unfortunately

Images are also corrupt

shawnb61

You have restored to an attachment folder before starting, correct?

You cannot work directly within WinRAR...

How big is your WinRAR archive?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

TechXPlays

Quote from: shawnb61 on April 20, 2020, 09:49:48 PM
You have restored to an attachment folder before starting, correct?

You cannot work directly within WinRAR...

How big is your WinRAR archive?

Here's my batch file, its correct compared to what it says as far as I can tell

@ECHO OFF
ren 2_*.* "RR-Auto-Launch.apk"
ren 40_*.* "Sinful-GlobalWarfare-v1.apk"
ren 27_*.* "Sinful-RRU-Edition.apk"
ren 19_*.* "Screenshot_2015-10-10-12-40-13.png"
ren 39_*.* "Sinful-GlobalWarfare-v2.apk"
ren 21_*.* "Screenshot_2015-10-10-12-40-23.png"

Wanted to know what the screenshots were and wanted to see if the android files still worked. APK files are just ZIP files, so you can open em with 7zip/WinRAR/WinZip/etc.

I also remembered I do have a SMF Install on one of my domains still, so I manually added an archive file to the attachments folder via FTP, and imported the proper database entry into smf_attachments, then tried to download it and it was still corrupt as well.

Advertisement: