News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

IP addresses

Started by Mike63, April 22, 2020, 09:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

There are two ways to upgrade from 2.0.15 to .17.  You can install the updates in package manager as prompted - .15 > .16 > .17.  If package manager flags errors, it will give you the file and the target and updated code.  If the target code has been edited by a mod or manually, package manager will not recognize it, so you have to find it and do the edit manually.  Then you can proceed with the install.

Second way to upgrade is to upload a fresh set of files from 2.0.17 upgrade package.  It's not necessary to run upgrade.php, there were no database changes from .15 to .17.  You'll have to reinstall themes and mods.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

mathygreen

I tried to update to 2.0.16 and it says something like "If you are not really experienced at this then don't try this.", so I didn't . . .

those are my words but they give you the essence of what it said.

The problem is I NEVER EVER remember updating the my FORUM (since 2009 . . . I looked the date up) . . .

does SimpleMachines ever update themselves???

Arantor

Quote from: mathygreen on January 14, 2022, 10:24:54 AMdoes SimpleMachines ever update themselves???

Of course it does. The patches usually get deployed here ahead of being handed out to users. In fact, this site is on a development-level version of the 2.1 series.

If you haven't updated since 2009, you must either be on an old 1.1 version or a not-finished 2.0 version, since in 2009 the only 2.0 choices were beta versions or release candidates 1 and 2, it wasn't until 2011 that 2.0 "stable" was done.

I think we need to start with "what version are you actually on?"

@rjen

Unless SMF was installed by some package manager from your host... it may have been upgraded automatically from your hosts package manager ....

If they did you may wonder why they stopped doing it?
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: mathygreen on January 14, 2022, 10:24:54 AMI tried to update to 2.0.16 and it says something like "If you are not really experienced at this then don't try this.", so I didn't . . .

those are my words but they give you the essence of what it said.

The problem is I NEVER EVER remember updating the my FORUM (since 2009 . . . I looked the date up) . . .

does SimpleMachines ever update themselves???

Are you the same person as the OP, cause your post is almost a duplicate of this one:

Quote from: Mike63 on April 24, 2020, 03:32:04 PMvbgamer45 . . . I tried to update to 2.0.16 and it says something like "If you are not really experienced at this then don't try this.", so I didn't . . . those are my words but they give you the essence of what it said.  The problem is I NEVER EVER remember updating the my FORUM (since 2009 . . . I looked the date up) . . . does SimpleMachines ever update themselves???

Thanks for your help!!!

Mike

Advertisement: