News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Topics problem

Started by NickADA, April 29, 2020, 04:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickADA

Hi all,

I have a little problem with the topics of my forum.

More than 10 years ago, my dad has founded a forum. He dies 10 years ago. 2 years after his dead crashes the webserver. Now, 8 years later, I'm going to try to get the old forum online. I've restored the database backup and installed SMF 1.1 with MySQL 5.6.

The problem is: when I go to a board, there are no messages, but SMF says that there are ...... messages in a board. Whats going wrong?

Greatings,
Nick Teeuwen

Arantor

Inside the storage for the boards themselves, it tracks how many topics and posts there are so it doesn't have to actually look them up when it shows the list of boards.

My immediate guess is that you didn't restore all the backup, because the smf_topics and/or smf_messages table is missing.

vbgamer45

Check the total records in your smf_messages and smf_topics table and report back what they are.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

NickADA

Hi,

I have seen that the table smf_topics does not exists. I had fully restored the backup. How can I fix that?

Greatz,

Nick

vbgamer45

Grab it from the backup file should be one of the last tables in .sql file it is a full file.

Worse case scenario we could rebuild that table some data will be lost but restore did it once a long long time ago.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

If it was *just* the smf_topics table, but smf_messages is intact, the admin find/repair should be able to restore that.

vbgamer45

Interesting didn't know that kind of want to try that now lol

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

Since the messages all contain a topic id, it should be able to group them together - and return them to the relevant board.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Arantor on April 29, 2020, 06:08:37 PM
If it was *just* the smf_topics table, but smf_messages is intact

I'd be surprised.  Most of the bad dumps and incomplete imports I've seen crap out at _messages table, it's usually the largest. 
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

I figured, but you know, worth investigating.

NickADA

Thanks for support, I've export smf_topics from the old db and now its fixed.

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: NickADA on April 30, 2020, 07:46:35 AM
Thanks for support, I've export smf_topics from the old db and now its fixed.

Now that it's all up and running and working, you should make a complete backup of both the database and files, then start the process to upgrading to 2.0.17

You can't do it in one go, there's a series of steps that you have to go through. What version of the 1.1.x branch are you using? What versions of PHP do you have available?

Advertisement: