News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Google Search Console Errors

Started by jbridges87, April 26, 2020, 10:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbridges87

Hey guys, so I briefly touched on this in another topic, but I believe it deserves a thread of its own.

I'm getting errors in the Google Search Console under 'Mobile Usability'. There are 3 total errors, all of which point to my /images directory, where my banner is located.

Both of my sites are running the Reseller theme, which is mobile responsive, and I'm not getting the errors on my main site, even though the banner images are identical.
I've tried to run the 'Validate Fix', but received error stating "Cannot continue validation process. Affected pages were found. Fix the issue and run validation again"

https://crown-sports.com/test_site/Images/

I don't understand the issue.
Any ideas?
Come by and check out my sports forum, here.
Running SMF v2.0.17

Bobby

Click the links to view which pages are affected
1. Text too small to read --> Increasing your text size in index.css
2. Clickable elements too close together --> I have no idea
3. Viewport not set --> It's hard to say, you can read here: https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/design-and-ux/responsive/
All issues are related to css settings!

jbridges87

Is there a possibility the issue is because I have images stored under public_html/Images, but the mobile responsive theme I'm running has an image directory at public_html/Themes/Reseller/images, that I should be using instead?
Running SMF v2.0.17

Bobby

Click the link that google shows you where the page is affected!

jbridges87

All 3 google errors point to https://crown-sports.com/test_site/Images/

When I navigate to that link it shows as below;

Can others navigate to their own /Images directory and does it look similar?
Running SMF v2.0.17

Bobby

Try to:
- Make a file called index.php in folder "test_site/Images/" contains with:

<?php
if (file_exists(dirname(dirname(__FILE__)) . '/Settings.php'))
{
 require(
dirname(dirname(__FILE__)) . '/Settings.php');

header('location: ' $boardurl);
}
else
 exit;
?>

- Run repair_settings.php

jbridges87

Thanks Bobby, but I'd like to know if others receive the same error by the Google Search Console for their /Images directory?

Surely I can't be the only one?
Running SMF v2.0.17

Kindred

That directory is not a standard folder in an smf installation -- so, no... most people will not have your issue

For once, I actually agree with Bobby.

Put the placeholder index.pho in your directory
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jbridges87

Alright, I've created the file and uploaded it to the /test_site directory. I then tried navigating to the /test_site/Images/ directory and it redirected me to the homepage of the forum.

I then ran the repair_settings.php file, but didn't require any changes, as all values were set to the recommended values, so I deleted the file from the server.
I then ran a validation fix from the Google Search Console, and that's currently pending. I believe I just need to wait for the googlebot to crawl my site again to verify the fix.

I will report back when I get confirmation.
Running SMF v2.0.17

AmadeuszWiecz

Quote from: Bobby on April 26, 2020, 11:05:00 AM
Click the links to view which pages are affected
1. Text too small to read --> Increasing your text size in index.css
2. Clickable elements too close together --> I have no idea
3. Viewport not set --> It's hard to say, you can read here: hxxp:developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/design-and-ux/responsive/ [nonactive]

Sometimes you just need to update the file and ask the Google Search Console to check the problem page again. Sometimes it helps, but not always.

jbridges87

Received confirmation of the resolution from Google today. This can be closed.
Thank you.
Running SMF v2.0.17

Advertisement: