After choosing UTF-8 blank main page

Started by Carnaggee, May 01, 2020, 02:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnaggee

Hi!
I have big problem with SMF 2.0.17 which I upgraded from 1.1.21. Everything works good except the main page. I need to choose languge Polish UTF-8 and when I choose it the main page is blank, however other pages works perfectly good. I'm confused... I tried to delete Themes folder and upload files from fresh installation package but it didn't help.

You can check it here:
http://forum.pegasus-gry.com [nofollow]

but ex. this works: http://forum.pegasus-gry.com/index.php/board,4.0.html [nofollow]

When I choose language English "ISO-8859-1" main page works. This same is for Polish ISO-8859-2, but I have characters problems.
Any help?

Ricky.

Since your Admin part is working, check SMF error logs to see if there is any entry when you open front page while its blank. You can find them under Admin --> Maintenance area (more details here : https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Logs )
Also, check website error logs (typically can be found in web hosting control panel). Hopefully there can find some clue to move forward.

Carnaggee

On SMF I have nothing in logs.
On my server I have only one error which is multiple times (also on different sites, not only on main page):
"[Fri May 01 20:06:18.009335 2020] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 6322:tid 139804582397696] [client 89.64.86.4:18349] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/xxxxx/domains/forum.pegasus-gry.com/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 178', referer: http://forum.pegasus-gry.com/index.php [nofollow]"

I'm using php 7.3. I can also  choose 7.1, 7.2 or 5.6

[edit] I forgot to add that when I'm logged the main page is working perfectly. It isn't only working for unregistered users.

Ricky.

Quote from: Carnaggee on May 01, 2020, 02:31:32 PM
On my server I have only one error which is multiple times (also on different sites, not only on main page):
"[Fri May 01 20:06:18.009335 2020] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 6322:tid 139804582397696] [client 89.64.86.4:18349] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/xxxxx/domains/forum.pegasus-gry.com/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 178', referer: http://forum.pegasus-gry.com/index.php"

I'm using php 7.3. I can also  choose 7.1, 7.2 or 5.6

[edit] I forgot to add that when I'm logged the main page is working perfectly. It isn't only working for unregistered users.

Well from the error I can say that you need to update your SMF, its easy will provide you more security.

And for your original issue:
My guess that some of the variable or string is missing in language file but can't say for sure, blank page means there is error which is being not shown on screen for security reason. Meanwhile , try switching to PHP 5.6 and see if you still get your  blank page.

Arantor

QuoteWell from the error I can say that you need to update your SMF, its easy will provide you more security.

Aside from the OP saying he's on 2.0.17, and there are plenty of documented cases of this error happening on 7.2...

Carnaggee

I tried on php 7.3 and 5.6 and it also doesn't work - the same issue.
On php 7.1 the board gives 503 error and the whole site doesn't work.

Like Arantor said I'm on the 2.0.17.

[EDIT] I made a test and in ISO languge file "index.english.php" I changed 16 line "$txt['lang_character_set'] = 'ISO-8859-1';" to $txt['lang_character_set'] = 'UTF-8';

and when I choose english which before this modification works properly then after this modification it also topped working.

Carnaggee

Ok, I managed to solved this out :)
It was a problem with connection to mysql. When I changed to UTF-8 every charset displayed correct however the main page wasn't working. I checked in phpmyadmin that everywhere I had UTF-8 except my mysql database in which in every table in collation I had "latin2_general_ci". So I think that it makes some error on generating main page. I add that in database I see everywhere normal polish characters.

I solved it this way - I chenged the language for the board in administration panel for Polish ISO-8859-2 which was not showing special chars on board. Then in administration panel of the board I used conersion tool from ISO to UTF. After that I changed language backed to Polish UTF-8 and the main page is working :) However I had a problem because evertyhing converted properly except the boards names and description - they had strange charcters in place of Polish special characteres. It was just a few lines od text so I corected this manually by rewritting it.

after this changed I have in every table in mysql databe collation "utf8_general_ci".

Ricky.

Quote from: Arantor on May 01, 2020, 03:48:06 PM
QuoteWell from the error I can say that you need to update your SMF, its easy will provide you more security.

Aside from the OP saying he's on 2.0.17, and there are plenty of documented cases of this error happening on 7.2...
That's precise  ..

Can't beat it like you ;)

Advertisement: