Board Index Concept [WIP]

Started by Mick., May 03, 2020, 10:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick.

Been working on a board index concept. Sure, it's not new but sure seems pretty nifty. I use something similar in my own forum ( https://www.idesignsmf.com/index.php?action=forum ) Currently it's in HTML & CSS form. The PHP will be added after it's complete. No biggie.

Quick Demo: https://www.idesignsmf.com/index.php/page,board_index_concept.html

Bigguy

Jeff Lewis

I like that! Looks pretty nice!
Co-Founder of SMF

Doug Heffernan

It looks pretty neat and sharp.

Mick.

Quote from: Bigguy on May 03, 2020, 11:54:12 AM
Looks real good. I like it.
Thank you!

Quote from: Jeff Lewis on May 03, 2020, 11:55:46 AM
I like that! Looks pretty nice!
Thank you!!

Quote from: doug_ips on May 03, 2020, 11:58:56 AM
It looks pretty neat and sharp.
Thank you.

Still working on some kinks. Now I wonder how it would look on default theme lol. Prolly not pretty at all ;)

Bloc

Looks very good, Mick! This would also be easier to show on mobile phones I would imagine.

Now, I couldn't help but fiddle with it - its the designer in me I am afraid :P - so I hope you forgive me for showing a suggestion.   

Mick.

@bloc... not at all bruh! Looks like the post count got moved over?

Bloc

Yes, just some aligment stuff really. Image in line with of the board name and the post count etc. align with the title/description. The divider just separates the two. If you ever wanted to do child boards into this, it would be not be so bad to add a extra icon, signalling there are child boards in there. Actually showing them would proabaly ruin the layout though.

Mick.

Quote from: Bloc on May 03, 2020, 03:01:54 PM
Yes, just some aligment stuff really. Image in line with of the board name and the post count etc. align with the title/description. The divider just separates the two. If you ever wanted to do child boards into this, it would be not be so bad to add a extra icon, signalling there are child boards in there. Actually showing them would proabaly ruin the layout though.
Yup. Having a handful of links it's not cool. It would look like a link farm. I suppose once clicked you'll see the child boards.
It's pretty nifty as is. I'm the type that keeps things simple for the user.

Mick.

@bloc... I'm just wondering how the user would add the custom icon. Via theme options? That's not right, right? Maybe have them hard code it

Ricky.

That's neat.

Using Bootstrap ?

Mick.

Quote from: Ricky. on May 03, 2020, 03:15:05 PM
That's neat.

Using Bootstrap ?
Thank you. No, not at all. Just Flex grid

Dzonny

Love the idea and the design!

Bloc

Quote from: Mick. on May 03, 2020, 03:09:04 PM
@bloc... I'm just wondering how the user would add the custom icon. Via theme options? That's not right, right? Maybe have them hard code it
You mean administrators? There are a few ways to do it.. for example letting the theme look for icons named with its board ID. Another method could be adding a CSS class with the same ID, but that requires them to actually make the correct CSS code. I would think just adding the desired icons into a images subfolder within the theme, and then rename them with the board ID is the easiest concept to grasp. The theme could also show a default icon if it can't find a designated icon.

Antechinus

It'd stack well on mobile, but my initial impression is that it's not so great on desktop, because you have to hunt all over the page to find the board you want.

The problem with doing things differently is that it's easy to get an idea, and it's easy to get enthusiastic about coding it for a change, and it's easy for everyone to say it's awesome just because it's different, but then you have to stop being enthusiastic and sit back and think about it. Is it really better, in terms of UX?

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on May 03, 2020, 05:54:05 PM
It'd stack well on mobile, but my initial impression is that it's not so great on desktop, because you have to hunt all over the page to find the board you want.

The problem with doing things differently is that it's easy to get an idea, and it's easy to get enthusiastic about coding it for a change, and it's easy for everyone to say it's awesome just because it's different, but then you have to stop being enthusiastic and sit back and think about it. Is it really better, in terms of UX?
Yup, this isnt for everyone. Especially for those who have a hundred boards. Me, in this case, I only run 9 boards lol

Antes

Very nice looking design, hopefully we see it in theme site soon(TM).

Mick.

Quote from: Antes on May 03, 2020, 06:30:09 PM
Very nice looking design, hopefully we see it in theme site soon(TM).
That's the thing...I'm debating whether to be on a custom theme or just simply share the boardindex.template file hehhee... either way, I'm cool with it

Antes

I end up trying things for Bastion and share its bits and part separately...

Mick.

Quote from: Antes on May 03, 2020, 07:02:26 PM
I end up trying things for Bastion and share its bits and part separately...
I know right? Either way, does not matter. Everyone knows who did it

Advertisement: