News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Updating problem

Started by PD3, May 09, 2020, 08:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PD3

Thanks Doug

I edited settings.php (see attachment) and there's no change when I run upgrade.php -- have I done it right?

Should I go on an edit upgrade.php as suggested earlier in the thread?

Appreciate all the help, guys. Thanks  :)

shawnb61

Everything in green is a comment, meaning the inserted line is being ignored.

The comment before it is not closed properly, which explains that.  Remove the space between the "*" and the "/".   

"*/" closes a comment, "*  /" does not.

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

PD3

Thanks. Changed it, but still the same result on upgrade.php  :-\

shawnb61

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

PD3

No, it's changed colour now -- see attached

PD3

Quote from: Shambles on May 11, 2020, 12:16:03 PM
I'd edit the update/upgrade script and remove the restriction from the mysql SESSION variable.

https://github.com/ShamblesX/SMF-Tools/blob/master/RemoveModeFromMysqlSession.php

RemoveModeFromMysqlSession ( 'NO_ZERO_DATE' );

or

RemoveModeFromMysqlSession ( 'STRICT_TRANS_TABLES' );

I tried this just now (see attachment) and it made no difference to the update when I ran it again. It's still hanging on the zero date issue as before. Have I inserted the code in a place where it will have the desired effect, or should I put it somewhere else?

Arantor

STRICT_TRANS_TABLES isn't the problem here, you need to remove NO_ZERO_DATE.

PD3

Quote from: Arantor on May 13, 2020, 04:10:10 AM
STRICT_TRANS_TABLES isn't the problem here, you need to remove NO_ZERO_DATE.

Thanks, put that in too (see attachment) and it hasn't made any difference to the update when I ran it again. It's still hanging on the event date on the calendar.

Strange, though -- last time I ran the update it got to 19% overall progress and 10.3% step progress, but now I've made the adjustment to the upgrade.php file it's hanging at 18 and 10% respectively. Am I definitely putting the code into the correct place on the file?

PD3

Right -- put the whole script from github in at the top of the upgrade.php page, ran the upgrade again, and it's still hanging in the same place as last time.

Any other ideas to try?

Thanks  :-\

shawnb61

The code sample you provided above is from the 2.1 upgrader, not the 2.0 upgrader...  All the input I've given above is applicable for 2.0, not 2.1...

I strongly suggest a 2.0 upgrade, not a 2.1 upgrade.  Get the 2.0.17 upgrade from here:
https://download.simplemachines.org/

And set the $mysql_set_mode as instructed above.

PD3

Thanks Shawn. I've tried editing the new upgrade.php a few times and I'm obviously not doing it right, because each time it leads to an error page when I run it. Please could you or somebody tell me where to add the code. I have tried inserting it in several different places around where the db is set going (see attachment), am I in the right place?

shawnb61

No changes needed to the upgrader files.

Please just use the files from the .zip you downloaded.

Add the $mysql_set_mode entry to settings.php.  I believe that one line insertion to settings.php is the only change needed.

If you get another error, let's see that.

PD3

Did that -- $mysql_set_mode = true; was already in settings.php, so left it there. Ran the updater and it froze again. With the new updater there aren't any error reports, it just freezes and after a while brings up this error message:

!!Error!
Server has not responded for 30 seconds. It may be worth waiting a little longer or otherwise please click here to try this step again

I restart it after a while and it does the same again. So far the longest I've left it is an hour. Should I leave it longer?

Screen shot attached.

Thanks

shawnb61

Please restart. 

This time, on the "Upgrade Options" screen, check the box for "Output extra debugging information".  That will get us more info to work from here.

PD3

I did what you said and it didn't output anything else. See screen shot attached. I scrolled down as far as it would go and it was just blank

shawnb61

To confirm what you did before -

You unzipped the contents of smf_2-0-17_upgrade.zip, and placed *all* of the contents of those files on top of your forum's previous files, correct?

Other than that one line in Settings.php, *nothing* has been altered, correct?

PD3

Quote from: shawnb61 on May 14, 2020, 12:00:19 PM
To confirm what you did before -

You unzipped the contents of smf_2-0-17_upgrade.zip, and placed *all* of the contents of those files on top of your forum's previous files, correct?

Other than that one line in Settings.php, *nothing* has been altered, correct?

Yes, see screenshot attached. Folders marked 'new' I'm guessing are old, due to the date on them

I have a nasty feeling this is all going to come down to me doing something stupidly wrong...

shawnb61

Who knows?  (Even if so, we've all been there! ;))

But maybe it's time to take a step back further to understand how we got here.

Was your 1.1 forum working properly?  What happened leading up to the upgrade?  Did your host upgrade mysql?  php?  Did you change hosts? 

I don't think 1.1 would run under strict mode (not without the 1.1 mysql_set_mode tweak), so I'm wondering if/how you were running prior to the upgrade attempt... 

PD3

Quote from: shawnb61 on May 14, 2020, 12:56:51 PM
Who knows?  (Even if so, we've all been there! ;))

But maybe it's time to take a step back further to understand how we got here.

Was your 1.1 forum working properly?  What happened leading up to the upgrade?  Did your host upgrade mysql?  php?  Did you change hosts? 

I don't think 1.1 would run under strict mode (not without the 1.1 mysql_set_mode tweak), so I'm wondering if/how you were running prior to the upgrade attempt...

The (TinyPortal SMF) forum is almost dormant, but we still have a few of the old regulars come around from time to time, post a bit of news about their life and swap comments with others, but replies can be weeks apart. I haven't updated anything for a long time and there haven't been any errors. It was all running fine. We are still hosted in the same place and as far as I know nothing has changed. The only thing I can think of is that the hosts have updated php on the server.

shawnb61

Sorry, I'm slow on the uptake...  Did you upgrade to get current?  Or due to the apparent upgrade by your host?

I think in an ideal world, we'd start over.  If feasible, restore to where you were.  Make sure 1.1 is running fine.  Then unzip the 2.0.17 upgrade, do the mysql set mode thing.  And try again.

If the mysql set mode thing doesn't work, we'll try another way to disable strict mode.

Advertisement: