News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Updating problem

Started by PD3, May 09, 2020, 08:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PD3

Quote from: shawnb61 on May 14, 2020, 09:37:30 PM
Sorry, I'm slow on the uptake...  Did you upgrade to get current?  Or due to the apparent upgrade by your host?

I updated because when I went to go on the forum I got a white screen and a 500 error. It had crashed on its own, for no apparent reason.

I think in an ideal world, we'd start over.  If feasible, restore to where you were.  Make sure 1.1 is running fine.  Then unzip the 2.0.17 upgrade, do the mysql set mode thing.  And try again.

Sadly not possible.

If the mysql set mode thing doesn't work, we'll try another way to disable strict mode.

Thanks -- the annoying part is that nobody even uses the calendar, and that's the bit that's causing it to hang.

Doug Heffernan

Do not you have a backup of your database from before the upgrade?

If you do not, smf makes its own backup of the db before upgrading. It prefixes the backuped tables with backup_smf if I recall it correctly. You can revert back to 1.1 easy.

PD3

Quote from: doug_ips on May 15, 2020, 05:23:15 AM

If you do not, smf makes its own backup of the db before upgrading. It prefixes the backuped tables with backup_smf if I recall it correctly. You can revert back to 1.1 easy.

Yes, I took a backup before starting. Are you saying I should restore from the backup, even though it wasn't working before?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: PD3 on May 15, 2020, 06:46:06 AM
Quote from: doug_ips on May 15, 2020, 05:23:15 AM

Yes, I took a backup before starting. Are you saying I should restore from the backup, even though it wasn't working before?

Yes, as per shawnb61 advice. I think it is worth a shot.

PD3

OK, thanks -- I'll give it a try. Once I've restored it, do I just run the update.php again, or edit anything else first?

shawnb61

I believe the only thing to change would be to insert the mysql_set_mode line in settings.php.

The reason I am suggesting starting over is that I think we kinda mangled 2.0 & 2.1 & 1.1 updates.  E.g., your settings.php file now looks like a 2.1 file, not a 1.1 file. 

It may not change anything, other than rule out partial updates as a cause should we encounter more issues.  Ideally, you start all upgrades from a fully working forum. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

PD3

Restored to previous version and ran the update again. It made no difference. At this stage I'm worried I'm not going to get my forum back.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: PD3 on May 18, 2020, 11:29:30 AM
Restored to previous version and ran the update again. It made no difference. At this stage I'm worried I'm not going to get my forum back.

You do not have to worry about that as long as you have the db backup.

shawnb61

Can you get it back up & running in v1.1?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

PD3

Hi Shawn, no I can't get it running at all. I sent a support ticket to my host yesterday, asking them to change the php version back, as I was under the impression them updating php caused the issue. This is the response I received:

QuotePlease note your forum didn't break because of the PHP update as it doesn't affect any of the user data. That issue was fixed by simply changing PHP version. Our server support Multiple PHP versions so you can use different versions of PHP. You can manage it in cPanel > MultiPHP Manager option. Changing PHP version back to older one made your site state as it is as before. It was explained in ticket WCD-911-63084 in my post sent on 09 March 2020 06:09 AM.

Problem is incompatibility issue as your forum was too old and looks like never updated. For now I have changed PHP back to 5.6.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thank You!

I tried running upgrade.php again this morning, and it stuck on 14%, as it did before, and didn't output any error messages, though I did tick the box asking it to do so.

shawnb61

As noted above, the "strict" issues are not due to a php version change.   

They would be caused by a mysql version change.

Did they change mysql also? 

Even then, we can normally get past strict mode issues, even on newer versions of php & mysql.  I am now more concerned with the state of the backup itself. 

Are we certain that the backup is from before the issues started (the backup is of a working forum)?   

PD3

The backup I'm trying to use was taken when the forum was down, but the Cpanel takes backups automatically, so according to the techs at the hosting company, it might be possible to restore the whole site. He says this:

QuoteI am sorry to see this problem you have with your forums at the moment. I see that forums was actually broken after you tried to update it (JSC-920-48795). Unfortunately we cannot debug code related problems as it's more likely a developer side work. We can have a look into this but unfortunately cannot guarantee if it will be fixed. I believe you have set a maintenance page currently. Please disable it and provide steps to replicate the problem on our side so we can investigate properly.

Alternatively we can help you with restoring site and we can see if that helps. You can also try restoring data from your side by using "Restore Manager" option provided in cPanel main interface. With restore manager you cannot just restore specific data like files, database but full account can be also restored. Please confirm if you want us restoring it and what data you need to restore.

Thank You!

What would you recommend doing?

shawnb61

PD3

I've asked the question, just waiting for the reply from them now.

If I have to disable the maintenance page, how do I do that? I tried running upgrade.php with the option unticked, hoping that would do the trick, but it didn't. I don't mind losing a couple of month's worth of posts if the Cpanel restore is the only option at this point.

PD3

They have answered to say their backup only goes back 7 days and they have not updated MySQL.

vbgamer45

Sorry there is a lot back and forth trying to figure this out. I can also try to convert on my side if that is an option you want to go.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: PD3 on May 22, 2020, 12:49:14 PM
They have answered to say their backup only goes back 7 days and they have not updated MySQL.

Before the upgrader runs, it makes a backup of your tables and prefixes them with backup_ I think. Are such tables in your db?

PD3

Quote from: vbgamer45 on May 22, 2020, 02:06:17 PM
Sorry there is a lot back and forth trying to figure this out. I can also try to convert on my side if that is an option you want to go.

Thanks for the offer. I'm open to any suggestions at this point.

Quote from: doug_ips on May 22, 2020, 02:29:22 PM
Quote from: PD3 on May 22, 2020, 12:49:14 PM

Before the upgrader runs, it makes a backup of your tables and prefixes them with backup_ I think. Are such tables in your db?

Yes, they're all there with the prefix.

PD3

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: PD3 on June 01, 2020, 04:52:09 AM
*Bump

Did you revert your forum back to your previous version?

Advertisement: