Slow loading forum?

Started by MobileCS, May 19, 2020, 12:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MobileCS

Anyone else having issues just browsing this forum? It takes 2-3 seconds just for the page to load.

The issue has been getting progressively worse ever since you guys moved the servers to the new datacenter in April.

Page created in 1.579 seconds with 12 queries.

That looks high too .. I'm pretty sure I used to see 400-500 before the move.

Arantor

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 22 queries.

Seems fast to me?

Jeff Lewis

Quote from: MobileCS on May 19, 2020, 12:10:59 PM
Anyone else having issues just browsing this forum? It takes 2-3 seconds just for the page to load.

I do occasionally. Viewing the main index a few seconds ago took over 3 seconds to create the page for me. It's really hit or miss though like everything after it to get in here and reply has been speedy.
Co-Founder of SMF

Deaks

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 13 queries.

I have never had issues with this forum only issue I have is my desktop speed.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Sir Osis of Liver

Forum has been consistently faster since April.  Haven't experienced any of the lag that was common before then.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Antes

Page created in 0.972 seconds with 17 queries.
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 16 queries.
Page created in 0.203 seconds with 12 queries.

Douglas

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 17 queries.

I'm assuming SMF is on PHP7, which definitely helps. :)
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

JBlaze

Page created in 1.271 seconds with 9 queries.

It's been a tad slow for me as well. I wonder if it's more of a latency issue.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

SpacePhoenix

Only happens to me with the initial page load after having not visited it for a few hours, which makes me think it's something to do with the creation of sessions.

Jeff Lewis

Loading this thread right now: Page created in 2.351 seconds with 22 queries
Co-Founder of SMF

Antes

Page created in 1.845 seconds with 23 queries.
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 16 queries.

Adrek

Right now I had this -> Page created in 22.515 seconds with 19 queries. But after that one long load it is fine again

//another one
Page created in 2.501 seconds with 13 queries.
Page served by: 10.0.100.135 (10.0.100.114)

both are forum homepage
Polskie wsparcie SMF na simplemachines.org

the simplest solution is most likely the right one

SpacePhoenix

I just had one Page created in 3.287 seconds with 20 queries.

Massl

SpacePhoenix

The slower loading of pages seems to be happening more often now. I'm getting pages loads of over 1 second more frequently. Has something about the server configuration been changed recently?

LiroyvH

Thank you for all the reports, I've been monitoring it following this topic. Bit elusive as it isn't consistent and 99% of the time it's all happy 'n fast.
Found one aspect that could use some optimisation, so I'll implement that and see if it improves the slower responses.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Jeff Lewis

Quote from: CoreISP on June 01, 2020, 07:29:19 PM
Bit elusive as it isn't consistent and 99% of the time it's all happy 'n fast.

Easily 99% or more, it's just very odd times it slows down and usually only for one page load while the rest are fine.
Co-Founder of SMF

Arantor

When you next get a slow one, please also report the 'page served by' details, I'm wondering if it's only one node in the rotation maybe with something astray (e.g. a single node not using cache for some reason)

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: CoreISP on June 01, 2020, 07:29:19 PM
Thank you for all the reports, I've been monitoring it following this topic. Bit elusive as it isn't consistent and 99% of the time it's all happy 'n fast.
Found one aspect that could use some optimisation, so I'll implement that and see if it improves the slower responses.
Does what ads are loaded get recorded for each page load? Maybe a bad ad perhaps?

LiroyvH

Alright, changes pushed. Please let me know how it behaves for you. (Give the servers a couple of minutes from when I post this though, they'll be rebuilding some caches.)

And yes, reporting the "page served by" section can be helpful when you notice a substantial delay in the page load. :)
No it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the ads. (Plus that wouldn't affect the render times you see at the bottom here. :))
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: